 General / 53357
Re: Best Lego Year of all time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:52:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Stéphane Simard wrote:
While I was browsing the catalogs, I had this idea... I'd like to know what
the consensus is as to which year saw Lego as truly the TOP of its game.

After browsing the Brickshelf catalogs, I'd have to say 1980. Second batch
of models for Technic (includes 8860), Minifigs were all over the place now
(no more "stiffies"), specialized pieces were next to non-existent, all Lego
cars finally had seats for the minifigs, Classic Space was at its best year,
and arguably best Train set ever, 7740, came out that year.

Other strong contender years for me:
1978 and 1979. First ever Technic/Expert Builder sets, Yellow Castle, birth
of Classic Space...

and 1986 (8 new technic sets, Legoland Town and Castle sets reached a
quality beyond measure, Blacktron I, birth of Model Team...)

It is very interesting that everyone is saying how juniorisation started killing
lego in 1997.  That was about the exact time I slipped into my dark ages (it was
also the year I was 14).

Anyway I seriously believe that 2007 is going to be the best year in history so
far.

Star Wars:

UCS Millenium Falcon
Battle Packs
AT-ST redisign
Imperial Landing Craft
Y-Wing

Castle:

Whole new line, all of which looks very very nice

Exo-Force:

Some very well designed now sets including the new "basic" mechs, the new big
wheeled tank thingy and a building which looks quite good.

Town:

Wonderful new sets all-round

Creator:

Gorgeous new houses

Space:

Some very good new sets (drilling rig is the pick of the bunch but others are
good too, such as the dropship)

Batman:

Two new very cool sets (wayyyy better than the batman dragster set)

We haven't yet seen the Christmas lineup either!!

There's something for literally *everybody* this year.  In fact, this will be
the first year in many a moon when I won't be able to afford all the sets I want
based on set design alone.  Let alone all the new army builders that are coming
out.  And that's not counting the UCS Falcon either.

The only thing Lego could do to make this year even better (well worse because I
won't be able to afford it) is to release a new pirate line.  If they did that
I'd have to sue the company for trying to bankrupt me.