 General / 41283
Re: Best Lego Year of all time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:57:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Stéphane Simard writes:
While I was browsing the catalogs, I had this idea... I'd like to know what
the consensus is as to which year saw Lego as truly the TOP of its game.

After browsing the Brickshelf catalogs, I'd have to say 1980. Second batch
of models for Technic (includes 8860), Minifigs were all over the place now
(no more "stiffies"), specialized pieces were next to non-existent, all Lego
cars finally had seats for the minifigs, Classic Space was at its best year,
and arguably best Train set ever, 7740, came out that year.

Other strong contender years for me:
1978 and 1979. First ever Technic/Expert Builder sets, Yellow Castle, birth
of Classic Space...

and 1986 (8 new technic sets, Legoland Town and Castle sets reached a
quality beyond measure, Blacktron I, birth of Model Team...)

I've always thought 1990 was a great year for Lego. M:tron, town airport
sets, resturant, the original space shuttle, airport monorail, the ghost
minifig and new castle, the Italian resturaunt, probably my personal
favorite fire station set in Lego history (6389) and some very cool basic
building sets, especially 725. If you're primarily focused on minifig
oriented building like I am it was a great year-not so great if you were
focused on technic or trains.

But I agree that 1978 and 1986 were also great great years. The whole period
from '86 to '92 was a golden age, IMHO.

- chris