 General / 41290
Re: Best Lego Year of all time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:29:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Stéphane Simard writes:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/avgyeargraph.jpg (1)

That graph is very interesting.
I also find it not that surprising that Juniorized sets appeared just as
studless beams/liftarms started to become the norm for Technic sets.

Yup. Technic was just about at its strongest until 1997, I'd say.

I don't think I could personally pick a year. Maybe I could pick "best year
for theme X", but even that's awfully tricky. Ah well. A fun excersize :)

Go ahead then. Name the best year for each theme :-)

Hmm... the slightly more major themes:

Adventurers - 1998. 2003's selection is good, but... awfully Juniorized.

Aquazone - 1995. It was all downhill from there.

Castle - 1986. Black Flacon's Fortress, King's Castle was still around,
Guarded Inn appeared. Mmmm..

Pirates - 1992, maybe? Imperial Trading Post, still had the BSB.

Space - 1987. Blacktron I.

Star Wars - 1999. X-wing, TIE & Y wing, Snowspeeder. Sigh.

Technic - 1996. Technic Space Shuttle, 8880 was still around...

Town - No clue. Lugnet stats say 1986 or 1988 was strongest for town. That
sounds about right.

Trains - 2002. I'd say 2003, but I don't think we've seen much this year.
Trains are definitely on the up & up.

I think we're definitely seeing an upswing in quality recently-- and I only
hope it continues, but I think we're stuck with Juniorization. Which is
fine, I guess. I can tolerate Juniorization. I just can't tolerate NOT
having an alternative; which is precisely what Legends, My Own Train,
Ultimate Collector's Series, Bulk ordering, and MOC lines are for. Let the
kids have their Jack Stone, Duplo, Galidor, Racers, Bionicle, etc. Just let
us AFOL's have another option.

DaveE