 General / 42016
Re: Best Lego Year of all time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:08:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Stéphane Simard writes:
While I was browsing the catalogs, I had this idea... I'd like to know what
the consensus is as to which year saw Lego as truly the TOP of its game.

I think this question has popped up before in some form or another.  But
it's the fun sort of topic that is always good to revisit.  My 2 cents...

After some thought, I have concluded that if I could choose only one year,
then it would have to be 1988.

My collecting has historically included an equal focus on Castle, Town, and
Space.  How great 1988 may have been for Technic, Mindstorms, etc. is
unknown to me.  9V Trains were missing, as were Pirates, and SP1 was a year
away.  But most everything else I loved was good in 1988.

True, years like 1978 and 1984 have special memories for Space and Castle
fans, and most of the 1980's were great for Town.  But in 1988, here in the
US anyway, things were great in all three of those themes.

In Castle 1988, we had the Black Monarch's Castle and the Black Falcon's
Fortress.  The Forestmen were only a year old and still growing.  The King's
and Knights castles could still be found in some stores, and the Armory Shop
and Guarded Inn were still available.

In Town 1988, we had the Metro Park and Service Tower, Victory Lap Raceway,
the Bank, various accessory sets (signs, trees, people), a wide range of
vehicles, and all sorts of great sets still available from '86 and '87
(which included some houses, a truck stop, and some great Train sets and
Boats that went well with Town, not to mention the Refuge Collection Truck
-one of my favorites!).

In Space 1988, Blacktron 1 was only a year old and now had a few new sets.
(BT1 is my favorite Space sub-theme!)  Futuron was in its prime with the
Monorail Transport System, the Stardefender, and other ships.  Some of the
late model Classic Space sets from '86 were also still available in many
stores.  As much as I have a reverence for the 1978-1980 space sets, it was
not until BT1 and the FT Monorail that I really started to buy Space.

And, so, hitherto, and in conclusionary attemptations, I hereby declare to
the fullest extent of the law excepting where exlusionary exemptions may be
applicacable by upon said rulings that by default ipso factomongus my
favorite year of Lego was 1988.  :D

...Of course, the bulk sets, Legends, tubs, and growing overall community of
this hobby do indeed serve to make today as much fun as then.  So I look to
the future knowing that 1988 is not all that far away...  =)

-Galactic Mediator Hendo