 General / 42017
FOTW: A Fun Little Tale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:44:38 GMT

I dunno where to post this, but I just had to share my excitement.  I had my
first Find Of The Week in some time last week.  Of course, that makes me
wonder whether I should call it the Find Of The Week, Month, Or Whatever.
Well, this is what happened:

I got an email from a friend who is Lego-sympathetic but not really an AFOL
and he gave me the info from an ad in the newspaper.  It said, 'thousands of
Lego for $25', with a phone number for a place a few towns over.  I said to
myself, "John," (That's what I call myself, even though I prefer the
nickname, weird I know....so I said,) "John, it can't be thousands of Lego
for $25.  It must be an exaggeration, or maybe half of it is clone brand stuff."

So I call the number, talk to a woman, get an address, and arrange to meet
the next day.  I go there after a short beautiful drive in warm sunny
weather (haven't had a lot of that lately around here).  The woman welcomes
me in, introduces her teenage son, who promptly provides me with a 1 foot X
2 foot X 1 foot (approx) cardboard box.  Inside, it is packed tightly with
ABS sorted into zip-locked bags roughly by type or related usage.  I
actually said aloud, "You only want $25?"  (I'm no good at haggling I
guess.)  He said yes.  I didn't argue, pulled out my $25, and happily
returned to my NLSO's house (closest place I could stop to open the box).

I have not opened every bag, nor started the process of really sorting what
I picked up.  I did notice one non-Lego horse.  But everything else looks
official.  From the parts selection I would guess this person had a number
of UFO sets and Dragon Master or Fright Knight sets.  But mixed in, I also
noticed a few ancient windows, doors, and wheel hubs (the pre-minifigure
ones).  Just a rough estimate based on the size of the box, I would say for
me to get that same number of elements by shopping today might cost around $300.

It has been a while since I made a great find.  Previously, I had picked up
a Model Team car for a few dollars and a 4.5v Train (7720) for $3 (when new
ones cost $60), both at thrift stores, but also both were years ago.  This
recent find was quite an exciting moment.  ...Oh, and I got to see my honey
at the end of the adventure too... What a great day!  :-D

Had to share,
-Hendo