 General / 41271
Re: Best Lego Year of all time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:40:43 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Stéphane Simard writes:
While I was browsing the catalogs, I had this idea... I'd like to know what
the consensus is as to which year saw Lego as truly the TOP of its game.

After browsing the Brickshelf catalogs, I'd have to say 1980. Second batch
of models for Technic (includes 8860), Minifigs were all over the place now
(no more "stiffies"), specialized pieces were next to non-existent, all Lego
cars finally had seats for the minifigs, Classic Space was at its best year,
and arguably best Train set ever, 7740, came out that year.

Other strong contender years for me:
1978 and 1979. First ever Technic/Expert Builder sets, Yellow Castle, birth
of Classic Space...

and 1986 (8 new technic sets, Legoland Town and Castle sets reached a
quality beyond measure, Blacktron I, birth of Model Team...)

Very interesting. Using Lugnet set rating data as of September 16th 2002, I
played around with the numbers a bit. In fact, I made a graph of average set
rating for given years:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/avgyeargraph.jpg (1)

Notice how things are on an upward trend until 1975, where it stays pretty
level (though lots of graph blips), UNTIL you hit the magic year that
juniorization started: 1997. Anyone suprised?

Contenders for the throne (average top 5 years): 1988, 1975, 1980, 1992, and
1984.

I don't think I could personally pick a year. Maybe I could pick "best year
for theme X", but even that's awfully tricky. Ah well. A fun excersize :)

DaveE

(1) Note, red lines are the calculated average using ONLY sets as ranked by
Lugnet members. Hence, sets that got no votes didn't get factored into the
average. Blue uses ALL sets, regardless of whether they were ranked or not,
giving a '50' to all such sets. Note also that some sets in the database are
marked as "1976+" or "-1982" or "1965?". Dark lines did *not* include sets
that have questionable release dates; lighter lines assume the year given as
accurate.