 General / 53346
Re: Straight LEGO Country Flags of 70's and 80's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 22:17:50 GMT

Willy,

Here's the comments from the Bricklink Canada Flag thread:

My comments:

The Canadian is the rarest of the straight and wavy country flags.
So far as I can tell the straight (stickered) flag was only sold in the #575 Coast
Guard Station Set (the USA version had the USA flag). It is possible that it may
have been sold in Canadian versions of the #939 Flags/Roadsigns/Trees parts pack,
but that has not been confirmed.

And the comments of a Canadian collector named Fred:

It had to be from the 939 set or something similar. I never had #575 Coast Guard set,
and I vaquely recall having a bunch of stickers from a sticker sheet to put on the blank
flags (along with the roadsigns)and still do have the other stickered flags along with
the one Cdn flag.
Fred

Fred, do you have (or remember having) an Australian flag/sticker and an Irish
flag/sticker among your flags? The Australian has a blue background with a Union
Jack in the corner, the Irish flag has 3 vertical bands of color... green, white
and orange-yellow.

I carried this discussion over to Lugnet.general, and Willy Tschager of German
(who is involved with LDRAW) was keeping tabs on the sticker sheet numbers.

It looks like the #940 Scandinavian version of the flags/roadsigns/trees parts
pack has the following sticker sheet numbers (with country flags):

#940 - Sticker Sheet 1 - #004158 - Germany, Netherlands, UK, Austria,
Switzerland, Italy.
#940 - Sticker Sheet 2 - #003432 - Norway, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland,
LEGO flag.

The #939 for Continental Europe version of the flags/roadsigns/trees parts pack
has the following sticker sheet numbers (with country flags):

#939 - Sticker Sheet 1 - #004158 - Germany, Netherlands, UK, Austria,
Switzerland, Italy.
#939 - Sticker Sheet 2 - #004159 - Portugal, Belgium, France, Japan, USA, LEGO
flag.

Now this begs the question about the UK, Australia and Canada versions of #939.
My guess is that they may have the same #004158 sticker sheet #1 as the sets
just mentioned. And the differences may (like the other #939/#940 packs) be
sticker sheet #2. But that begs the question, do UK, Australia and Canada share
the same sticker sheet #2?

That's why I curious Fred, to know if you have (or had) the Australian and Irish
flags/stickers?

Cheers,
Gary Istok