 General / 53335
Re: Straight LEGO Country Flags of 70's and 80's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 22:47:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   My mistake, I meant to say “1592”, and instead said “1589” (the 1978 Weetabix UK set).

So let me ask again (correctly), were there specific companies that promoted the British (1980) and Dutch (1983) #1592 set?

I had a very slight hunch, so to be sure, I’ve consulted “backoffice”-wise with Lowlug. They’ve confirmed that the Dutch version of the set was a promo for the brand Unox, part of the Unilever company. This also explains why the Dutch version has a “SOEP met WORST” sticker for the sign on top of the food stand. Translated into English this would be: “SOUP with (smoked) SAUSAGE”, two main products sold under the Unox brand. The LEGO illustrators made a funny mistake in the instruction booklet for the Dutch version of the set, where the sign is printed as “SOAP met WORST”.

One of the Lowlug members still owns a Dutch issue of the comic magazine “Donald Duck” that has the advertisement of the promo inside. He told me that you had to send in some product wrappers and an additional payment.

Currently I have no information about the patron of the English version of the set, but I know that Unilever originated from a merger of a UK and Dutch firm in 1930, and that the UK branch of the firm operated under the name Lever Brothers up until 1990. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unilever for reference.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.