 General / 53314
53313  |  53315
Subject:
Straight LEGO Country Flags of 70's and 80's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 19:54:57 GMT

Many of you probably find LEGO country flags (with stickers) mixed in with
miscellaneous LEGO lots.  Did you ever wonder just where they all originated
from?

Dave Shifflett of California brought this British EBAY auction item to my
attention yesterday.  It was an assortment of 10 stickered LEGO flags (mostly
country). He was questioning the origin of the Australian flag:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150051439637

When I checked the EBAY item in question, I also noticed 2 Irish flags
(applied upside down or on the wrong side, like the American flag sticker).

This got me to thinking about one item that was still not 100% answered when I
finished my LEGO CD Chapter 32 - LEGO Town Accessories (Flags, Roadsigns,
Street Lights, Cyclists/Bicyclists, Antennas, etc).

That was the origin of British, Irish and Canadian stickered flags (circa 1973-
82).

From 1973-79 TLG produced only a few spare parts packs (#930-#941).  Of these,
the #939 and #940 were the ones that had LEGO flags (with stickers).

Here is the #939 pack, including the sticker sheets:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=939-1

Here is the #940 pack, including the sticker sheets:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=940_2&v=z

Both sets contain one sticker sheet that is identical to each set (with the
Germany, Netherlands, Britain, Austria, Switzerland and Italy flags).

The other sticker sheet is different between the #939 and #940.

The other #940 sticker sheet has the 5 Scandinavian flags (plus LEGO flag).
#940 was only sold in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.

The other #939 sticker sheet has the Portugal, Belgium, France, Japan and USA
flags (plus LEGO flag).  The #939 was sold in all other LEGO countries besides
Scandinavia.  Also, since no spare parts packs were sold in the USA from 1973-
79, the #939 was NOT sold in USA.

In my LEGO Sets/Parts History CD, I have come up with this handy Country Flag
cross reference list (you may wish to keep a copy of this list for future
reference! :) ).

Sets with Country Flags/Stickers:

USA Flag:  #367/#565, #372, #575, #939, #5235, #6390.

Canada Flag:  #575.

Germany Flag:  #939, #940.

Britain Flag:  #939, #940.

Austria:  #939, #940.

Switzerland:  #939, #940.

Italy:  #939, #940.

Netherlands:  #939, #940.

France, Japan, Belgium, Portugal:  #939.

Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland:  #940.

Australia, Ireland:  possibly #939.

Now getting back to that British EBAY flag auction....

I now am pretty much convinced that in Britain, Ireland, Australia, as well as
the rest of the British Commonwealth (besides Canada), they had a different
sticker sheet, and it had both the Australian and Irish flags.  This auction
sort of confirms this for me.

Note:  Courtauld's, a British textile and chemical company had the license (as
British LEGO Ltd. of Wrexham Wales) for producing LEGO for all British
Commonwealth countries from 1960-93, except for Canada.  And of course the
USA/Canada license was under Samsonite (until 1972 for USA, until 1986 for
Canada).

Well like I said, the British/Australian/Irish (etc.) #939 packs must have had
different flag stickers than the rest of the world that had the #939 parts
pack.  I only wish I knew exactly which stickers were different from the #939
packs sold elsewhere.

I am also very curious to know what stickers the Canadian version of #939 had
(possibly a Canada flag sticker included?).  The only confirmed source for the
Canadian stickered flag is the #575 Coast Guard set (the USA version has a USA
flag, the Canadian version has a Canadian flag).

Are there any Brit, Aussie or Canadian Bricklink/Lugnet members that can shed
any light on this mystery?

Thanks in advance,
Gary Istok

P.S. I'm going to post this in Bricklink as well.