 General / 41847
  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

WOW - Great discussion. I just happened to stumble across this discussion and I couldn't resist throwing my ideas into the pot. When talking about any "community" I think it's important to remember that any community can be defined in different (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) :-) Glad you enjoy the discussion. Thanks for contributing to it - I think it's a good thing to keep going a little bit. I could have just emailed a few friends my original, but then thought, why not post to everyone? Especially when I know (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I'm glad you started this Tim, I'm really enjoying this discussion. ... (...) It was my assumption that if there's a "Community Development Manager" then LEGO Direct, at least, has an interest in the identifying and reaching the LEGO Community (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Glad to bring it up. I can't claim ownership to the topic though. Though I've spent a lot of time personally brainstorming this, I've also had a lot of conversations with various other people in the community on the topic - a lot of which has (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

I find that I'm doing a lot of thinking in new directions thanks to this discussion. Two major directions are - 1. What is the LEGO Community anyway? and 2. How do I, personally, relate to that community? Defining the LEGO Community - I've looked at (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) FUT .space. What do you say fellas? Imagine a new LSC (Lego Space Club) showing up at a Sci Fi convention and dominating a whole corner with Moonbases and SHIPs... I bet a number of visitors would be converted over from collecting comic-book (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.space)

  What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Haha! I love it. Now, I really am enjoying this entire thread, but my line of thinking is diverging a little (thus the change in subject line). A question comes to my mind about how we refer to ourselves within the "community". Why do we need (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) YES! Man I'm really not getting work done today. Stopped by the post office with my taxes, visited a local shopkeeper. Posting in this silly thread. Well, the thread isn't silly, but it's silly that I'm not getting my work done! (...) The TFOL (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Looking back in the thread, I think I was the one who began talking about "adult" here, although the phrase "Adult Fan of LEGO" (AFOL) seems to have been created quite a while ago. I find that I mention adult LEGO fans almost in self defense. (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) IMHO, the AFOL term was used just to give this group a sense of identity. Sure, any old kid can say he plays with Lego, but all he might do is just buy sets and make them, or just collect Bionicle figures. We actually take Lego to the next (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?

(...) Yep. (...) True. I think it's great to encourage those kids who don't build LEGO on this level to explore it. I have gained a new appreciation for Bionicle recently, at BricksWest and at a friend's house a couple weeks ago. His kids have a lot (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes: <snip> (...) Yeah, I've always been a big fan of the concept. Granted, I don't build with it, but I think it is a brillant way to get gets building and learning about basic mechanics. The audience for these (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I used to be on the side of encouraging clubs to not have age requirements, however, under more consideration, I'm more open to the idea. In my opinion, the biggest reason is the way our country handles child abuse allegations. Because of the (...) (21 years ago, 16-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Hey Frank - Wish I could devote time to replying to this inline -- but gotta get moving on other stuff tonight. I totally understand the concerns with this. I'm not sure our club's approach to handling this, save the parents' involvement with the (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Absolutely Nothing! :) (Was: Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?)

I have one particular spin on lego building/playing/sculpting that strikes me quite personally. I had it in my splash page for a while at my bricklink store but Ill give you the edited down version here: (Be forwarned, its based upon my experience (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Absolutely Nothing! :) (Was: Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?)

(...) Hi David! Although I am no longer among the faithful, I must agree with the sentiment that there is value in keeping young at heart! Religious or not, I love your explanation of how you have come to appreciate the importance of being a child. (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I think it depends on what kinds of activities the club participates in. I understand that some clubs have meetings in the private homes of their members. I can totally see how you might want to exclude minors in such a situation (or at least, (...) (21 years ago, 7-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) My club (BayLUG) looked into doing a display at a SF con recently but their "art show" policies were more oriented towards items for sale, and had fees that we didn't want to pay, etc. So we decided against it. I've been trying to advance the (...) (21 years ago, 7-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I really like the idea of SIGs. There is more then trains to display. :) Although you get the basic 'where to display' problem, 'cause there are about a million train shows around but much fewer sci-fi displays and practically no Castle (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Any organization that allows both adults and minors to participate in the same capacity has to be _very_ careful about this sort of thing. It's not enough to simply know that nothing's going on. You need to make sure that noone has any reason (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) If you want to see more places to display MOCs, _make_ more places to display MOCs. Talk to local toy/hobby stores and/or malls and see if they'd be interested in having an event day where people could stop by and check out what's possible. (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) MichLUG is actually doing a show at a Comic Con the weekend after next. They approached us even. We will be setting up both a space/moonbase display as well as a castle display. The idea of creating a SIG (within MichLUG) for space or castle (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Weellllll.... you could fly to FL every month...or drive to Lansing, there are lots of Michiganders that are spaceheads. (To name a few...Trevor Pruden, Rick Hallman, Jason Spears, Scott Sanburn, Peter Guenther...) You should come to a meeting (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) You would be surprised where you can display. Soren and I were at a library last month discussing the finer points of building when they approached us to do a display (that's this weekend). I've also seen a display at the airport. (I don't (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

Kyle Keppler lives near Jacksonville? Wow, I thought all the florida people were in Tampa. I'm in Tallahassee, while that is 3 hours away, I travel to jacksonville at least once a month (my wife's family lives there). I'd be more than happy to (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) I've recently become aware of that, and I was actually hoping to make the last meeting, but noone replied to my request to carpool (well, Larry did, but only to say that he couldn't do it this time), and between driving myself halfway across (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community

(...) Libraries are certainly a pretty safe way to hold meetings open to minors. At a library, you have the advantage that they hold most of the responsibility for any unaccompanied minors. A pizza parlor would be somewhat riskier, but still, the (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community)

  SF Cons (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)

(...) MichLUG did thee SF cons, exhibiting in the art room at one of them. Though they were in the art room, and had artist badges, it was understood by the event organizers that they weren't there to sell stuff and therefore weren't a direct (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.space)