 General / 41877
Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:16:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Henry Kruer writes:

IMHO, the AFOL term was used just to give this group a sense of identity.

Yep.

Sure, any old kid can say he plays with Lego, but all he might do is just
buy sets and make them, or just collect Bionicle figures.  We actually take
Lego to the next level and make it an art:  something many kids don't do.

True. I think it's great to encourage those kids who don't build LEGO on
this level to explore it.

I have gained a new appreciation for Bionicle recently, at BricksWest and at
a friend's house a couple weeks ago. His kids have a lot of Bionicle, and
they built creations with the parts. I was amazed at how organic these
models can look - yet the parts can still integrate with Technic and System
through the Technic holes/antistuds. Until I started seeing Bionicle
creations, I didn't really appreciate it for what it was.

I myself would be classified as a TFOL, a young one at theat, at late 13.  I
found this after researching for 'old Lego' on Google, because I was so
enthralled at the peeks of old Space in my catalogs.   When I found this
site, I was bowled over by the quality of the stuff made here.  Realistic
spaceships, working clocks and harpsicords...

I guess it was time to start building in color.  :)

:-)

Lugnet inspired me to learn HTML, and now even more into PHP so I could make
a cool Lego site. I saved all my money for 4 months to buy a web server.

(I'm making a new site at http://creations.jhkruer.com but it only has the
home page made so far!  :)  )

Pretty neat so far!

I consider myself as an AFOL.  Even if I am not old enough, my actions are
similar to what you guys do, and not to any kid.

Yup. I consider kids like you who post and participate here maturely as
"AFOLs" as well. I had a good time at BricksWest with people around your age
who were visiting the MOC display at LEGOLAND. It was very clear they were
on a different level than the typical kid-fan.

Wow.  Thanks guys!

No problem! I'm glad the thread here is as popular as it has been. It's
encouraging seeing others engage these thoughts and gain a sense of
community from it.

-Tim