 General / 42112
Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 17:59:44 GMT

William R Ward wrote:

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> writes:
I used to be on the side of encouraging clubs to not have age
requirements, however, under more consideration, I'm more open to the
idea. In my opinion, the biggest reason is the way our country handles
child abuse allegations. Because of the legal climate, one is taking a
very large risk being involved with a "club" that allows anyone under
18. [...]

I think it depends on what kinds of activities the club participates
in.  I understand that some clubs have meetings in the private homes
of their members.  I can totally see how you might want to exclude
minors in such a situation (or at least, minors without their parents
or other parentally-designated guardian present).

But my club (BauLUG / BayLTC) meets only in public spaces, such as a
meeting room at the library, or the back room of a pizza parlor, etc.
I think in that context, there is a far lower risk of such allegations
being made.

Libraries are certainly a pretty safe way to hold meetings open to
minors. At a library, you have the advantage that they hold most of the
responsibility for any unaccompanied minors. A pizza parlor would be
somewhat riskier, but still, the fact that it's a "public" place reduces
the risk.

The most risky thing probably would be to give a ride to an
unaccompanied minor. Meeting at someone's house is pretty risky also
(though most of the risk will be assumed by the home owner/renter).

I would also be very wary of a "designated guardian." It's probably
pretty safe if the child's parents are happily married, but I'd be a
little concerned about the designation of a single parent (because who
knows what the actual custody agreement is). I know our church youth
activities require both parents to sign any permission forms.

Frank