 General / 41893
Re: What's so Adult about it Anyway ? (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 02:40:52 GMT

Hey Frank -
Wish I could devote time to replying to this inline -- but gotta get moving
on other stuff tonight. I totally understand the concerns with this. I'm not
sure our club's approach to handling this, save the parents' involvement
with the club alongside any underagers. I know it's not foolproof. We
actually don't have any club members under 18, aside from say the occasional
<10yo belonging to a club member. Perhaps we'd ask for a waiver were that to
happen, I dunno. That said, we're open to people of all ages on a subjective
basis.

-Tim

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:

I used to be on the side of encouraging clubs to not have age
requirements, however, under more consideration, I'm more open to the
idea. In my opinion, the biggest reason is the way our country handles
child abuse allegations. Because of the legal climate, one is taking a
very large risk being involved with a "club" that allows anyone under
18. Your life can be ruined (and the SC seems to favor permenant
ruination of your life if "sex" is involved). Your life can be ruined
even if you weren't necessarily involved in the alleged abuse. Note that
I am using alleged and allegations in this wording because the fact is,
your life can be ruined just by accusations being made. It's incredibly
difficult to fight these accusations (which is what makes the "sex
offender" status so sick in my mind, people plead guilty just to avoid
the nasty court battle, and then are permanently branded).

I continue to wonder how much risk I'm taking by being a youth advisor
at church. We have insurance and rules that minimize the risk, but
still, what do you do if you're in a room and a kid walks in? Do you
kick the kid out or stop doing what you're doing and leave to obey the
rules (that two adults should always be in the room with kids)? What do
you do when you're about to leave church in the evening and a 13 year
old girl is standing around alone because her brother got mad at her and
didn't take her home with him, so she has to wait for mom to arrive
(this happened to me, I was at church as a senior high youth advisor and
the girl was there for junior high youth group - the junior high
advisors should never have left without making sure all the kids had a
ride)?

The maturity issue is separate, and I think in a more reasonable legal
climate, it would be easy to take things on a case by case basis.

One thing I would like to see more clubs do though is have "LEGO days"
at libraries and such. These events could be handled in such a way that
the library takes most of the risk of having children around (which they
already are taking).

Frank