 General / 41892
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 02:33:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Damien Guichard writes:
Many thanks Tim, your reply is really encouraging.
I currently try to figure out the best way to write a building tutorial.
The three major difficulties are:

1. It is REALLY intimidating to write the first tutorial ever. I don't want
to be suspected to define a building standard. A standard is simply not
desirable. At some points, to make a long story short i have to write things
like "this is good assembly" and "that is bad assembly" instead of "this
assembly is encouraged by this tutorial" and "this assembly is discouraged
by this tutorial". How can i say an assembly is "bad" without hurting anyone?
A tutorial is not a lesson (as many builders here are far more experienced
than me). How to present ad-hoc restrictions in a world of freedom is by far
the most difficult obstacle for me. May be the only solution is i write the
document as if i am the sole reader, then YOU make it more relative.

Don't be afraid to advocate techniques over others, but explain why one is
'better.' I don't think anyone will argue with you that interlocking bricks
is better than stacking one on top of each other when building a wall :-)

2. There is several quality criteria. Different tutorial designs maximize
different criteria. I think the best possible document is a complete set of
abstract building patterns. However a set of abstract building patterns
would be really terse for Kids. Nothing is already really decided, but i
tend to favour a "prerequisite" approach, a step by step progression
starting from no building skills.

You can show a technique, then show it in an example model, perhaps? That
way, give the kid some way to apply the technique to a project.

3. The building style advocated will certainly imply a lego theme preference
and outdated classic building style. The outdated aspect is really annoying
as i think Kids should be the primary audience. Adults are supposed to be
patient enough to acquire their own skills.

I think anyone who would be reading the tutorial would have the wherewithal
to understand and apply the techniques to their own favorite theme.

Yes, i'm in France but not involved with FreeLUG.
But sure i should and probably i will be.

Cool :-)

The thoughts you presented above are the right things to be thinking for
these tutorials. Although you might not be confident, I think you're going
in the right direction :-)

-Tim