 General / 41860
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:23:59 GMT

I find that I'm doing a lot of thinking in new directions thanks to this
discussion. Two major directions are - 1. What is the LEGO Community anyway?
and 2. How do I, personally, relate to that community?

Defining the LEGO Community -
I've looked at the other posts in this thread and read the other "branches". I
think the LEGO Community can best be described as a series of concentric rings
with the most passive members on the outside and the most active in the center.
Most people start at the outside and move inwards. They start by building
things just for themselves. Later they start sharing what they've built and
becoming more active in discussions about what other people are doing.
Eventually they may start organizing events and creating resources for the
community.

Actually there are many centers. People "focus" around the things they have in
common. Everyone has the brick in common. Some of us are also interested in
robotics, or history, or machinery, or fantasy, or whatever and that creates a
tighter focus within the community.

There are people who just pass through. They may eventually lose interest and
abondon LEGO altogether. Others may move toward the center, then move back out
again. They might become very active for a while, then go back to being more
passive members of the community.

For those of us involved in this discussion, it's important to remember that we
are part of the Lugnet Community with the LEGO Community. There are probably a
lot of active LEGO users out there who we never meet. (Users who don't speak
English, for example. We are an international community after all.)

Defining myself -
I am probably closer to the passive side. But with increasing levels of
activity. I lurk a lot, I only post once in a while. My primary interest is in
Castles, I rarely even buy a set that's not in the Castle Theme. I rarely even
read the Forums outside of Castle. (I found this discussion by accident.)

I started becoming more active because I enjoyed seeing what other people are
building and hearing what they had to say about what I'm building. I think I'm
actually more interested in building with LEGO now because the community has
exposed me to a lot of new possibilities.

I find that there's a sort of cycle where I build, share it, hear what people
say about it, see what other people are building, talk about it, then go back
and build again. Ideas tend to get passed around that way, and different people
will use the idea in different ways and generate new ideas. It becomes a highly
creative experience for me.

------
OK, I'd like to keep writing, but I have to at least LOOK like I'm working
today. :)

Stephen