 Space / 23546
23545  |  23547
Subject:
SF Cons (was: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 17:04:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
My club (BayLUG) looked into doing a display at a SF con
recently but their "art show" policies were more oriented
towards items for sale, and had fees that we didn't want
to pay, etc.

MichLUG did thee SF cons, exhibiting in the art room at one of them. Though
they were in the art room, and had artist badges, it was understood by the
event organizers that they weren't there to sell stuff and therefore weren't a
direct potential source of income for the con. They were there for the mutual
benefit of both parties: an attraction for the con and a display opportunity
for the club. The art room just happened to be an available, secure and
appropriate space for them. It helps to know the show organizers so that the
mutual benefits are easy to establish. And, as Jason said, it helps to be
invited :-)

Another issue you may run into with SF cons is that they may be so strapped for
cash that all the participants (dealers, panelists, organizers, office staff
... everyone except the guests of honor) pay to attend, and they are reluctant
to make exceptions for fear of setting a precedent. With every show, MichLUG
had difficulty arranging free admission to the con space.

Amy