 General / 40132
Re: Design your own 1000 piece tub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 05:22:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
A great idea!  My only wish is that it's for sale discounted, and available
for $19.97 like the 4107 here in Canada where I can drive to my local
Zellers

Is the 4107 really available at Zellers stores in your area?  Or is this
wishful thinking?  As far as I have seen in the London/Stratford/Kitchener
area, they are only available at Toys 'R Us or Bricks & Blocks in St.
Jacob's (formerly the 'Countryside Toy Outlet')

Uh, no, actually, my typo.  But the $19.97 4107 is still available at Toys R
Us.  I got like six when they first went on sale, but AFAIK the sale is
still on.

But my complaint is really that I want to be able to drive to it and buy it
after work instead of waiting for it and paying shipping.  Whether it's
Zellers, Winners, the Bay or TRU (in that order).

I agree 100%.  I should have mentioned that this tub would have to be
available in retail stores.  Grabbing the attention of young and old
builders alike happens as they stroll the toy asiles; of that I'm still
convinced.

Absolutely.  I have no doubt that the 4107 is a great product for young and old.

I was going to mention price in my original thread, but then I hesitated.
The 4107 is a good deal.  Is it the best deal ever? No, probably not.  But
is it a good deal compared to certain bulk packs from Shop At Home?  Yes, it
certainly is.  What I would like from the company is an explanation as to
why bulk packs are so ^$&#%@* expensive compared to assorted buckets and tubs.

It's an amazing deal, even compared with the 3033 1200 piece, which was a
ridiculously good deal.

So why are bricks sold as 'bulk' pieces seven times more expensive than
those sold in assorted tubs.  The bottom line of my argument is, "why can't
there be some happy median?"  Why not raise the price of assorted tubs
slightly and then offer more widely varied selections and colors?

Part of it is probably because they can and something about the logistics of
selling bulk pieces.   Think of this:

a) A bulk $20 tub that contains nothing but tan.  No normal person would buy
it because it only has tan.

b) A small $12 bag of tan that is sold retail.  Retailers won't buy it
because it's just a bag of tan bricks.  Not sure if people want that.

As a result, we have small bags of "bulk" pieces sold through S@H because
they probably wouldn't be attractive to retailers, and large 4107's being
bought at retail, because it would probably cost too much to ship and be
profitable.

That and us poor saps buy those packs from S@H anyways.  It's not like we
have a choice.  That said, I have never bought bulk bricks.  I did get some
slopes.  But never bricks.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant.  That's why I left this argument out of the
original message.  I wanted it to be a shiny happy posting.

No, trust me Allan, it's a rant I share.

Calum