 General / 39990
39989  |  39991
Subject:
Design your own 1000 piece tub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 01:05:49 GMT

No, sorry... it's not an official LEGO contest.  Though wouldn't it be
interesting if it was?  No, let's think of this more like a fantasy baseball
league.  You can draft any piece you want into your tub, in any colors
and/or quantities you want.  But... just to make it a bit more balanced, why
not see if you can provide some sort of marketing rationale for your tub.
In other words, why would people want to buy the 1000 pieces you put
together into your dream tub?

Here's my suggestion, based on pieces that might be useful for 'traditional'
style sculpting and building.  Some of my favorite bulk packs include
plates, slopes and, of course, basic bricks.  So here they are, all in one
tub.  I call it the "Sculptor's Tub".  While I think adult builders might
use this bucket for sculptures or large buildings, younger building might
use it for castles, monsters, small towns, who knows?  Of course, it's a tub
of 1000 LEGO bricks so it can become anything, right? :)

To make it a bit more interesting, I envision this tub being available in
four different color combinations.  The same 1000 pieces, but with four
separate colors in each version of the tub.

Here's the parts breakdown I came up with for a single tub.

Plates
++++++
10 x 1x1
10 x 1x2
6 x 1x3
6 x 1x4
4 x 1x6
4 x 1x8
8 x 2x2
4 x 2x3
10 x 2x4
4 x 2x6
2 x 2x8
________
272

Bricks
++++++
10 x 1x1
10 x 1x2
6 x 1x3
10 x 1x4
10 x 1x6
6 x 1x8
6 x 2x2
6 x 2x3
20 x 2x4
4 x 2x6
4 x 2x8
________
368

Slopes
++++++
6 x 1x2 45 degree
4 x 1x3 33 degree
6 x 2x2 45 degree
4 x 2x3 33 degree
4 x 3x3 33 degree
4 x 2x2 45 deg corners
4 x 2x2 roof peaks
4 x 2x4 roof peaks
4 x 3x3 33 deg corners
___________________
160

Inverse Slopes
++++++++++++++
4 x 1x2 45 degree
4 x 1x3 33 degree
4 x 2x2 45 degree
4 x 2x3 33 degree
__________________
64

Tiles
+++++
6 x 1x1
10 x 1x2
12 x 2x2
6 x 1x4
________
136

Total = 1000 pieces

(Keeping in mind that the quantities in each category have actually been
multiplied by four to come up with the category total... the same parts in
each of the four colors in each tub.)

For the color combinations, I came up with something like this:

black
yellow
red
white

blue
green
orange
brown

lt. grey
sand red
dk. orange
sand green

dk. red
tan
dk. grey
medium blue

And there you have it.  I found the hardest part of this exercise was
balancing out how many of each part to include. While your instincts might
say, "oh, I need 500 2x4 bricks in each tub," that's probably not very
useful in most cases.  But it was also part of the fun.  I initially had a
lot more basic bricks, but then tried to spread some of the numbers across
the plates and tiles.

Anyone else want to join in this little fantasy design session?

All the best,
Allan B.