 General / 40167
Re: Bulk brick pricing (WAS:Re: Design your own 1000 piece tub)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:55:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
Agree 100%.  So here's my question.  In Toronto area Zellers stores, are you
finding *any* tubs or buckets?  The answer for this part of Ontario is a
resounding 'no'.  It's as though Zellers hasn't been offered them by the
company, or they passed on ordering them.  Very frustrating.  Especially
since it was a Zellers store in which I bought the 1200 piece anniversary
tub that brought me out of my dark ages.

Not me either.  Zellers may have from time to time, but the only bucket I
remember in any quantity was 4285, the Basic.  That may have been up to two
years ago even.

There are assorted tubs in Walmart.  I think I've seen the 4105 there and
also 7831.  I think there's an orange or green bucket there too.  Grand and
Toy has some of those orange and green ones but they're expensive.

Sorry, I may have given the wrong impression.  I wasn't suggesting that LEGO
make a 1000 tub that had the same bricks as a bulk pack.  Rather that they
look at the price (per piece) of these two types of products and try to
bring the pricing in line to some degree.  The 4107 contains some tan and
light grey bricks which do not cost 21 cents each.  But how is that possible
when we know that in a bulk pack these parts are worth 21 cents each?  Does
that make sense?  :)

No, it doesn't to me as an average person, but I can understand the issue
with the logistics of the issue.  It's all about the cost of getting it to
you, and the cost of keeping it there for you.  If we're only talking S@H's
side, it may not be economically feasible to sell a bag of pieces at the
4107 density's price, because I have to pack it up and mail you say 50
bricks vs packing up several thousand and shipping several trailers full to
TRU Canada.

They used to, don't forget.  Accessory packs used to be available at retail.
I realize times have changed and that I'm an old foggie when it comes to
this stuff, but looking at what *isn't* selling on store shelves, maybe it's
time to try some bulk packs.

No, I feel old then too because I remember accessory packs in the
stores-Simpsons downtown was my strongest memory.  Got a pack of trees and
flowers as a kid-a big find at age 6.  :)

The fact something existed doesn't mean it was profitable or workable then.
Or profitable or workable now.  We also had people who delivered milk to
your door in the 50's and we only paid 10 cents for bread.  Maybe it was
profitable then.  Most grocery delivery services (WebVan etc) have failed now.

I both see your point but wonder about the shipping costs at the same time.
Pound for pound it would be cheaper to ship bulk bricks.  Even with beefed
up packaging that could hang on hooks, they would still provide more dollars
per pound of sales than the 4107's do.  Look at the wasted space and packing
on those tubs.

Sure.  But you also have to understand that shelf space costs money and
instore logistics (ie, workers to place the baggies onto hooks) costs as
well.  I used to work logistics for Loblaws and we had a constant debate
over spices and yeast vs paper towels and cereal:  Little bottles and
packets are light but take a lot more time to align and face on the shelf vs
the "cut the case open and drop" of cereal.

A wall of baggies would take up a lot more space (which costs the store,
making it less attractive to offer) and is easier to steal.  A skid of
4107's is easy to drop and cut loose.

I've only bought from Shop At Home, but only as part of a group order that
myself and some co-workers placed.  It got us all free shipping but.......
WOW was it hard to stomach the final price in Canadian dollars after
conversion and taxes.  A bag of 50 2x4 bricks tops out at more than $12. (CDN)

Cripes, I know.  I only order when hitching orders onto other rtlToronto
members (these nutballs who buy Yodas, Barricade Runners and ISDs) who are
kind enough to let me add a bit and pay back my share of shipping.

I know many others do.  I just don't always want to be the only voice crying
the blues about bulk bricks, pricing, selection etc.

I think it's also different from a Canadian perspective.  I've seen and
agreed with your complaints about S@H for Canada on the Canadian loc
groups-but I think the Americans are used to paying higher prices and don't
see it as much.  Or perhaps everyone but us makes more money.  But don't
worry, you're certainly not alone.

Calum