 General / 40032
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:32:33 GMT

Eric Sophie wrote:
Then I think that there are folks that enjoy being an encyclopedia rather
than being down to earth. Some of you out there rather spout off some
obscure peice of knowledge than to show recognition. I hate that. Then some
of you have been here since before I was and I have yet to see you chime in
on anything I have done. Have you missed me that often? Whatever, this is
another source of frustration in this community. Never post just reply syndrome.

What's wrong with sharing information? Personally, I haven't commented
on your MOCs because while I do like looking at the occasional mecha, I
just don't find them that interesting.

One thing that really does bug me, is that if I (or anyone) replies to your
post and says "Wow that's great!" You oughta respond and say thank you.

There used to be a common internet acronym, TIA. Thanks in advance. In
the days of low bandwidth, people considered it rude to waste bandwidth
with a simple thank you. These days, we don't seem to have a bandwidth
problem (though sometimes I wonder), but people have a bandwidth problem
(Todd - could you pull some stats on the number of bytes posted to
Lugnet per day, I'm curious how many hours an average reader would have
to spend to read every Lugnet post).

Look this is serious, think of it as when you are out in the real world as a
person face to face. If I walk up to you and say: "Hey I like that, you did
a good job, very nice" You oughta respond as a courteous person and say "
Thanks"
Any excuse doesn't cut it. Don't have time, too many people etc....

No it's not serious. It's a traditional convention of the internet (and
other online forums).

There are some people that I have seen Post MOC's and they don't even
respond with a gracious "Thanks" To those people, I don't bother with those
people anymore. It's rude and I won't participate in their poor form. No
matter how great their MOC is. Sure post and never say thanks. Ya sure,
that's just great.

I have leared to be polite and courteous in my time. I know that with this
compartmentalized system it is hard to respond to everything, because that's
all you would have time for if that was the case.

Look, I'm on a rant and I'm sorry. Really this has been a source of
frustration for me. I came here to meet others and for the ones I have
developed a relationship with I am grateful. I'm still trying to reach out!
Hellloooooooo?!!!!???

I think an edicate recap is in order.

1. Come to Lugnet, check out the newsgroups you are interested in.
2. Reply to the efforts of others in your interested genres.
3. Give feed back on commuity efforts and the like.
4. Move beyond your genre and look for work other than you are into.
5. respond to MOCs from other genres to support Lugnet as a whole.
6. Don't participate in .off-topic debate.

Shame on you who hang in off-topic debate when folks have honestly made
MOC's and are looking for feedback. Shame Shame Shame.

Oh, so we must spend ALL of our time on Lugnet? I have other interests.
Among those are trying to understand the world. I wouldn't cry if
.debate went away, but the people who are discussing things there are
doing so because it interests them.

Besides, dosn't Lego mean "to play well" ??? What's there to debate about!
We have Peeron and the Lugnet set database, what else is there to yammer about?!

7. read the newsgroup page to see all posts to Lugnet, get a feel or pulse
of the community.

8. Be concious about posting some obscure knowledge right after a post where
someone is looking for feedback. Alot of us leave others feeling ignored
when a reply is made to another post right after one is made asking for input.
This is a really bad problem here.

8. Some people post for they're own MOCs and never respond to other peoples.
Some folks "pop" in and out everyonce and a while and only talk about what
they have and never offer any input on others in the community. That is bad.

I have to say I'd be curious who you would name. I wonder if I'm on your
list? I don't respond to peoples MOCs often, but I do at least some
times. I suspect I've made more comments on folks MOCs than I've
received in return (but mostly because I haven't posted all that many
MOCs).

What if no one replied just as you do? What feedback would you get then if
everyone acted just like you and never responded to anyone and only posted
they're own MOCs? This place would be lame.

Remember it takes a kind soul to give prasie or recongition. Someone gives
from they're hearts, return the favor and don't be so consummed with yourself.
Becuase that's the way it seems when you only post about your stuff and not
talk with others about their efforts. I hate that too.

9. Some folks chime in when their name is mentioned, and others come out of
the wooodwork when a post is made and the encyclopedia syndrome takes effect.

Why are you so down on sharing information? You keep harping on this. I
continually get positive feedback on the information I share (possibly
more positive feedback on that than on the MOCs I post - which I'm cool
with, I know my MOCs aren't top of the line but I make a serious effort
to provide good information).

10. Do what you want it is a free country, ignore what I have said or take
into consideration those of your commuity. Contiune to be a good member and
give feedback and support. Being picky and choosy is understandable to a
degree. Some folks only have time for so much, that's a given.

11. Respect the original post content! Don't you hate it when some smarty
chimes in on some side tangent and doesn't give respect to the original post.
Think about it in reallife. Try that at a party or other convo. It's called
nosing in, and it's highly annoying. You know who your are.

On the whole we are to compartmentalized. I suppose its ok, but really,
visit other genres, post feedback to MOCs other than you make yourself.
Grow. Be well rounded. Open up. Forget your peers, never let anyone hold you
back.

I do look at other genres, but honestly, I can't look at them all. I
don't spend time on genres which interest me very little. Again, part of
me sees mecha as cool (and I certainly enjoy looking at them in person,
the Mecha table at BricksWest 2002 gained more of my view time than most
of the other tables other than the SCLTC train display). Another part of
me just doesn't buy into the whole mecha thing, and that makes it hard
for me to appreciate them.

One other thing I want to make it clear that IMHO, saying others have said
what you would have said and not posting feedback is BS. Each person has
their own unique view on things and I appreciate each person for who they
are. Give yourself a little credit and know that who you are matters and
your feedback is appreciated. Never let anyoone say something for you. You
matter.

Eric, we can't ALL respond to every MOC. It would drown Lugnet.
Seriously. It would.

If all of you only give feedback when it suits you, well, I tell ya, how is
anybody supposed to know what people are thinking? This is a virtual place
and it is quiet without your voice. How am I or anyone supposed to know how
you feel or what you think if no one says anything. Oh BS views. It's only
part of the story!

I want to again appologize for my rant.

Another thing I wanted to mention, is that, I make MOC's to inspire me as
well as others. The last thing I want to do is scare anyone off or make them
feel inadequte. (ok my spelling sukz) I have dedicated myself to making the
best Lego creations I can make. Some people are more willing than others to
do this. For those who don't have the time, money or gumtion, use people
like me as source of inspriation, use the techniques! See how Lego can be
used! Don't ever let another person's MOC make you feel like you aren't good
enough.

So all in all, yes I wish feedback was better. When I make a MOC, I know
there are many of you out there. I wonder what you all think. When I come to
town with a post for a MOC, I'm not just thinking about the people that hang
in my genre area, I'm thinking of all those names that I am familir with and
new ones that I would like to meet and hear from!

I look forward to hearing from the regulars in my genre. It's also a joy to
here from folks outside the genre too. That matters.

Do you really want to? I'm sure a bunch of people would look at your
MOCs and say "What a piece of junk." I trust you would rather not hear
those opinions (please note - my opinions don't fall in this category -
but my honest opinion of many of the MOCs posted to BrickShelf is "ho
hum, another mecha" or "ho hum, another small castle" or "ho hum,
another bland looking car" or "ho hum, another Technic creation" and
even "ho hum, another pirate ship").

Frank