 General / 40098
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:54:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Adrian Egli writes:
WHEW!  This topic of feedback has grown so big and deep that I figure I
might as well go into the pre-LUGNET, pre-RTL, pre-online world that many of
us AFOL's lived in.

Here's the Q.  Did you get feedback 10, 15, 20 yrs or more ago from your
MOC's?

A :  Well, I can certainly say it wasn't online.

Ten years ago, that's December of 1992, I did not know any AFOLs like
myself.  I was just some 22yr old guy who would regularly check out his
favorite LEGO shops or go ga-ga when the latest SAH catalog arrived on his
mailbox.  Feedback for a MOC 10 yrs ago = zero.

In Dec. of 1987, I was the only TFOL (teen-FOL) I knew of in my h.s.
Feedback for a MOC 15 yrs ago = none.

In 1982, I had buddies who played w/ the bricks w/ me and bought sets too.
Feedback for a MOC 20 yrs ago = enough back then, about 15 or so of us but
wasn't online, just face to face.

I'm not giving a thumbs up/down to the whole idea of posting MOCs up, just
that some of us were able to get by and continue to build w/o having to go
online.

Adr.

Adrian brings up an interesting point--what did we do before the internet?
I know that I was pretty much on my own where this particular hobby was
concerned--I received no positive feedback at all, and much humouring, and
some negative feedback from those around me.

Since LUGNET, and the realization that I'm not alone out there in the world,
I would have to say that my enjoyment of LEGO has increased exponentially
(as well as my budget to buy LEGO, but that's neither here nor there).
Since meeting rtlToronto, I have become quite confident that I'm basically
pretty much normal--as normal as an AFOL can be, I guess :)

So just by having a forum to even post MOCS, as far as I'm concerned, is
validation enuf for our hobby of choice.

Dave K