 General / 40087
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:55:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Sophie writes:
<snip>
I want to again appologize for my rant.

No need to appologize.  You had a lot to say.  I cannot say I agree with
everything you said, but I do appreciate your opinions in the matters
discussed.  For lack of time I will just say a few things...

1. Regarding your comments on the habits of certain posters.  I may be
guilty of sometimes (not always) acting as an encyclopedia, but it is always
my intention to either A) help share information that is worthwhile and
relevant, or B) further perpetuate an interesting conversation or C) both.

2. Someone who changes subjects mid-thread is not always a rude interrupter,
but possibly someone who simply was inspired by a current conversation to
think of a new topic.  You argue that such people would be rude if speaking
in such manner in face-to-face conversation, but that is not the case.  Next
time you are at a social gathering, you should listen to the flow of
conversations around you.  Do people so easily stay on one thread?  Do
conversations progress and evolve in a linear fashion?  No.  I think you
will find they are full of chaotic changes in subject when one person thinks
of some variant thing, and in groups of several people or more, you will
find that often there are multiple conversations going on at once that
change rapidly as some people turn their heads to switch conversations and
contribute newer ideas.  This isn't rude, it is simply the natural and
chaotic flow of true interaction in such a social setting.  I think it is a
thing of beauty.

3.  I still hold to my positive opinion of .off-topic.debate.  See my
previous comments on that subject at:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=18587
One additional thought, as your next arguement might be that people who have
time to debate have no excuse for having time to post replies to MOCs.  I do
tend to read .debate mostly when I have a spare moment at work and it is
also a slow day in my favored groups.  Some days there are simply few MOCs,
or perhaps there is an ongoing conversation about a particular MOC that I
have nothing further to contribute about.  When this happens, I browse
around other Lugnet groups besides my prefered ones, and I often find
.debate to be informative and entertaining.

4.  As for asking people to check out MOCs in other genres beyond their
prefered groups, that is tricky.  I have a big appreciation of *everything*
that involves the brick.  I am amazed in the techiques used to hold Mechs
together, amazed by the details on an 8-wide train, amazed by the size of a
large-scale six story Town streetscape, amazed by the capabilities of
Technic and Mindstorms MOCs.

But the simple fact is that I don't build much in those areas.  And as an
outsider to such, they all look pretty much the same.  For example, most
Mechs look like Mechs to me.  That's about it.  I would run out of things to
say if I replied to every one as you ask, unless of course you want me to
just have a pre-written file that I auto-post every time: "Hello [insert
name].  I like your Mech.  I am amazed by how you do that with Lego.  It
goes beyond my skill, but I don't build Mechs.  Signed, me."  After the
thirty second time I used that exact message to reply to a newsgroup I
otherwise don't post to, the people there might get a wee-bit tired of me.

5. And to be less confrontational to you, I will add this: One thing your
post (or rant as you call it) did do was make me think about *how* I post.
Have I always said thank you after a reply to my own post?  Maybe not every
time.  Should have I?  Absolutely.  You are fully correct that we must all
contribute to being polite and friendly if we want people to reply more
often.  It is a two way street.  If you want people to respond to you, you
must be willing to respond to them.

Cheers,
-Hendo