 General / 40091
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:39:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Sophie writes:
Want to see more? Contibute to the positive process. Give feedback.

I dunno. I sure hope that people have enough of their own steam to keep
doing what they love without demanding positive feedback. But I guess if
it's not rewarding enough to put your creations online because you don't get
scads of feedback, well... don't bother, I guess. Personally, I love getting
feedback for MOC's, but I also see massive hit counts as positive feedback
in and of itself. If none of my creations ever got hits and ALSO never got
feedback? I guess I'd keep building, but I'd be less inclined to put
pictures up on the web. I'd probably still do it though.

Also when I see a person that posted and no one has said anything, I make a
point to reply so that person feels good and not ignored. I have done this
countless times.

Hmm.. I kinda wonder whether this is a good thing or not. I mean, I don't
want to hurt people's feelings, but if I made a crappy model, I'd hope that
it didn't instigate false positives to protect my feelings.

I really only try and give feeback when I've got a question or have a
specific suggestion. If it's something really cool, but I don't have
questions or suggestions? I just highlight/spotlight the post.

One thing that really does bug me, is that if I (or anyone) replies to your
post and says "Wow that's great!" You oughta respond and say thank you.

Oh gosh. I couldn't disagree more. It's all well and good in moderation. In
a society of a few hundred members, that would be a great system, and I'd
fully agree. In my own LUG? I'd feel absolutely fine giving lots of little
feedback and 'thanks' posts. But Lugnet is a several thousand user system.

I kinda realized this a long time ago. Positive feedback is great for me,
but what if it's something I couldn't care less about? To be honest,
personally I find your mechs neat and all, but I'm not big into mechs or
even really technic. And if you make a really cool model in your version of
an ideal society, you'd get 100 or so posts in your thread. And so would
everyone else. Now I (as a Lugnet reader) have to wade through a sea of
"Thanks!" posts and "Wow, cool!" posts. It makes the environment a mindless
tedium to find posts that I'd actually be interested in reading.

I mean, sure, it's great if it's MY model. But what about everyone else?

6. Don't participate in .off-topic debate.

Shame on you who hang in off-topic debate when folks have honestly made
MOC's and are looking for feedback. Shame Shame Shame.

? Shame on me also for watching TV when I could similarly be giving people
feedback? Shame on me for reading a Harry Potter book when I could be more
productive? Shame on me for building with my Lego when I could be busy being
polite? What level of self sacrifice is acceptable? If I wasn't in
off-topic.debate, wouldn't I just be elsewhere debating? Isn't it my time to
enjoy as I see fit? Just because it takes place on Lugnet doesn't mean it's
energy that would otherwise go to posting feedback.

What if no one replied just as you do? What feedback would you get then if
everyone acted just like you and never responded to anyone and only posted
they're own MOCs? This place would be lame.

I think here we're getting to the difference between how you and I
specifically view Lugnet. You appear to see it as a forum for showing off
new MOC's; I see it as an idea exchange post centering around Lego. MOC's
are certainly a part of that idea exchange, but so is BrickShelf's bandwidth
problem, finding new sets in stores, learning about building suggestions,
about upcoming events in various area, figuring out what should be done with
posting authentication, discussing the Lego company's actions past and
future, and learning what they have in store for us. A whole wealth of
subjects I'm interested in apart from "Wow, cool!" or "Gee, thanks!".

9. Some folks chime in when their name is mentioned, and others come out of
the wooodwork when a post is made and the encyclopedia syndrome takes effect.

Personally, I love the encyclopedia syndrome. At least, I think I do. I
assume that you're talking about people spouting out factoids concerning a
particular thing. Like what minifig scale actually is, or what shapes or
details would/should be included in a particular model. I make it a point to
note these posts because someday I may want to make use of them. If I want
to build a model of, say, Jabba's throne room, I want all the info I can get
about it! Sure I could try and research the subject myself, but what if
someone's already done the research for me?

To me, someone who cites one of my encyclopedic posts is five thousand times
more gratifying to me than someone who says "Thanks for the info!". I
specifically made web tools like the BrikWars Trooper Scorer and Lego Scale
Converter in the hopes that other people could save time by making use of my
efforts. Each time I see someone using them is far more enjoyable to me than
any sort of short "thanks" post they could make.

Another thing I wanted to mention, is that, I make MOC's to inspire me as
well as others.

Similar to above. I've had a couple ideas that I've seen other people use. I
love it when that happens. It means I've really inspired someone. Seeing
someone post a "Wow, that's a really cool idea!" is great and all-- it makes
you feel nice and not ignored; but when you see that person use the idea
themselves, it makes you feel all the better.

(Well, ok, there are those out there who feel the opposite, and who feel
cheated and insulted when copied [at least without recognition], but that's
not my $.02)

DaveE