 General / 38936
Re: NBA LEGO: Minifig skintone issue apparent;y settled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 03:50:53 GMT

A few years ago I posted an article to alt.toys.lego about this very
subject.  I was inquiring as to the seeming whiteness of the lego minifig.
Truthfully I was just bored and trolling to see if anyone else had ever
really put the question out.  The thread had some very interesting ideas
about the possibility of race and lack of race of our minifigs.  Upon seeing
the thread develope, I sent an email to lego posing as an the father in an
interracial couple questioning how to explain the race of the minifig that
my childeren were playing with, since the minifigs are actually not black or
white.  I don't know why I cant' find the wonderful reply that I got back
from a woman who worked for lego, but it basically stated that the "toy" was
a standard that was developed without race in mind and that during the time
of increase political and social awareness the corporation was unwilling to
cater to ethnic differences in fear of accidentally stereotyping.  I believe
that I posted it to that news group, but am not sure how to find usenet
archives.  If anyone can find it feel free to repost it.

I wish i could find the correspondence, It was insightful, and because of it
I was totally taken by suprise when I saw the color of the Mace Windu
minifig.  But then again, I can't imagine Sam Jackson allowing his minifig
to be anything other than reflective of his own race.  which is totally
kewl.  was that the first minifig that was not yellow that was humanoid.

I myself tend to justify the whole thing with the uni-color minifig as my
personal idealized "ONE" race, that is totally peaceful and unified under
thier own collective diversity in occupation and personality.  Does anyone
think about thier figs like this?  Or have any justifications that are
different?

This about the most complex issue with lego in my opinion, one of those
things you can't think about too much but somthing that unavoidably crosses
your mind at one time or another.  I bet our demographics might show that
people who are not white are far less likely to use bricks chronically.  My
lug is all white people.  Are most lugs as homogenized as mine?

don't want to fan the flames, but it is an uber interesting thing to think
about.

peace to everyone,

-tk