 General / 38869
Re: New Sets 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:24:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer writes:
Man I love this time of year. :D

Yah, it's like Christmas in August :)

4477:  Looks like a mix of gray and white with dark gray wings.  Good little
set IMO.

No, I think the wings are light gray.  You can see dark gray in the 1x3
inverted slope right above the pilot's head, and the wings are far lighter
than that.  I think the angle makes them look a different color.

4478: Ok.  This is where it gets REALLY cool.  If you've seen the Incredible
Cross Sections book for Episode 2 you know that the Geonosian fighter's gun
and thruster are mounted on ball joints.  I've tried to figure out how to do
this in a small enough space...but now look!!  Big ball joints!!  WOW WOW
WOW.  What a useful part.  That fighter is perfect.  And is that burnt
orange (rust) for the wings?  Hope so.

Also:

-Sand red battle droids.
-Three of the new 6x6 solid dishes we saw in the ISD.  Very cool.  And
someone pinch me...is that a 3x3 dish?!  Or is it a 3x3 disc from technic
sets?

My jaw dropped when I saw this.  This set just looks too damn cool, even if
it is made of a lot of specialized pieces.

4479:  Looks ok.  Fits in with the other TIE Fighters.  I'll wait for a
clearance on this one.  Maybe I can get it for $8 like the TIE-Fighter.

Too derivative for me.  A big eh.

4482:  I'm impressed.  They seemed to have done this one nicely.  6
superball joints!  Great colors in this one.  8 medium blue tiles. Some dark
red.  I'd like to know how the front with the tran neon green is built.

I wonder if the hip joints are super ball joints too.  This does look like a
great set, something that an AFOL would design (which is a compliment!)
Looks like the new 6x6 solid radar dish makes an appearance here too (as
well as the geonosian fighter)

The sides of the cockpit look like a 1x4x3 trans-green panel with a sticker
or printing on it and one of those 4x4 plates with only 1 row of studs for
the roof.

4484 through 4487:

GIMME.  Man I hope these little guys are cheap.  They look like candy. :-)
That Snowspeeder and Jedi Starfighter are my favorites.

Adorable little things, and great stocking stuffers to boot :)

Adventurers:

Great to see this theme still going.  I love the new location.  A bit
juniorized (and I don't say that much) but still cool.  I can already hear
the Castle folks collectively turning over in bed with visions of that
sword. :-)

That scimitar is absolutely gorgeous.  And it's got a stud on the hilt so
you can make pikes out of it.  Wow!  I love the continuing Adventurers
series.  It's not ancient Greece, but it's still quite nifty.

Looks like a good year in my opinion.

Ditto.  I also especially like the mini-creator stuff.  Looks like this is
the year for the little guy.

I dunno about the design of the basketball sets though.  The double-bending
minifig legs are sort of interesting (I wonder if they're spring-loaded?)
and we can finally answer that "will all the minifigs be yellow?" question.
I guess I ought to hold off on criticising it until I've had a chance to
play the game, though.

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com