 General / 3788
Re: 2532 Passenger Jet: Your worst fears realized...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:44:27 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

Hmm.  For the window-walls, they have to run two different molding
productions, one for the white wall, and another for the transparent
window.

Not really - look at the one Adv set that uses a thinwall with NO pane.  IF they
were doing it to save money, they'd leave off the windows, even if that means
people asphyxiate on the flight ;-)

Then there's also the cost of assembling the window-walls.

Um, any that have been released in the last several years snap together, and do
NOT come pre-assembled.

Here's a question I don't know the answer to at all: are there differences
in cost between molding opaque parts and molding transparent parts?  The
plastic is slightly different.

Possibly.  The molds sure have to be smoother, to make sure they are fully
transparent without warping stuff when you look through them.  Too many of TLG's
molds these days have sags in the sides of the bricks (or they are popping them
out of the molds too damn fast), and that would be a nono for a window.

But who knows, maybe the windows are CHEAPER.  The plastic may be cheaper than the
ABS used in other parts.

--
| Tom Stangl, Technical Support          Netscape Communications Corp |
|      Please do not associate my personal views with my employer     |