 General / 35590
Re: What the heck is going on ?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:36:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.general, Mike Petrucelli writes:
When should we belive the Lego Company?  When they tell us that they are
refocusing on their core product, or when the release Galidor.

If the company spent half as much on brick based product that they do on this
junk, we might actually get something useful (like a new 9 volt monorail.)

...and a new 9 volt monorail would be a brick based/core product?

If the company wants to create something new, a 9V monorail would be a useful
brick based (the old monorail track connected via 1x4 plates) item good in any
town, space, or aquazone layout.  What good is Galidor to Lego fans?  Galidor
appeals to kids that do not like construction toys.  The Lego brand name on a
non-construction toy is a contradiction of terms to a casual consumer and
outright blasphemy to AFOLs.  Anyway the point was if the Company is going to
risk money on something new they should at least make it work with what they
already have.

Seriously though aside from Lego Direct the whole company seems to be a • perfect
example of how NOT to run a business.
Well, Bionicle and Harry Potter products seem to have been pretty successful.
Galidor has yet to be tested, but you never know...

Harry Potter is brick based.  The larger Bionicle sets are very good, but seem
to have been overlooked because of the Technic Jr. smaller Bionicle sets.  Most
consumers do not even realize Bionicle is made by Lego.  Both Potter and
Bionicle are still construction toys though.  Even Znap was still a
construction toy.

How much longer can the Company run on
parents who grew up with Lego but do not know the diffence today?  Is Lego
Direct a mere gnat playing tug-of-war with a giant about to walk off a cliff?

IIRC the reported losses for the company relate to the period before
Bionicle (& Potter), it will be interesting to see what a full year of
Bionicle and Potter will do...

Well I am the Assistant Manager in a toy store, and the single most requested
Lego item is "just bricks."  Potter and Bionicle are tied for the second most
requested Lego items.  It is kind of stupid that we can not provide consumers
with the most requested Lego item.

Galidor might be popular for a while and be good for the Lego company for a few
years.  In the long run however, it will do nothing to help and probably will
hurt the Lego brand name.

-Mike Petrucelli