 General / 35604
Re: What the heck is going on ?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:45:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Petrucelli writes:
On the other hand by not selling just bricks, they eliminate the entire market
they are known for. (from the perspective of the casual consumer)

Historically, I think they would have been known for selling sets which
consisted mostly of bricks, with a few slopes, wheels, windows and doors
thrown in (eg Universal Building Sets). IIRC the 1200 piece tubs and large
brick only boxes are fairly recent introductions (the only 'brick only' sets
available in the 70s-80s where fairly small, single colour supplementary
sets, weren't they?)

The traditional brick based set (with wheels, windows etc), is pretty much
the equivalent of a creator set; compare say Universal Building Set 112 with
Creator Set 4175. Admitedly, there is more 'non brick' in the creator set,
but not that much... and certainly neither could be called 'brick only'.

[snip]

Well the store policy is such that if I can not provide the customer with what
they want nor order it then direct them to someone that can.  So yes I do tell
people about S@H.  (I should point out the store I work in does not carry
Mega-Bloks buckets)  Most people roll their eyes and say they will just get
something else.

And, out of interest, what do they get?

Cheers

Richie Dulin