 General / 35581
Re: What the heck is going on ?! - Heteronyms!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:35:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.general, Mike Petrucelli writes:
When should we belive the Lego Company?  When they tell us that they are
refocusing on their core product, or when the release Galidor.

If the company spent half as much on brick based product that they do on this
junk, we might actually get something useful (like a new 9 volt monorail.)

...and a new 9 volt monorail would be a brick based/core product?

Good point.
In fact, now that I think of it, the core product of LEGO is the building
block *alone*, in its differnet sizes and shapes.
I wonder if LEGO enthousiasts from the '60s thought the same when LEGO
introduced the minifig in the '70s. The minifig, now so easily acceptable,
must have seemed a disform represenation in a world of harmonious villas and
buildings done in a different scale.

We can take a bit of this juniorization, provided that LEGO *keeps the old
line in production*. If they want to conquer new markets or become more
visible or whatever, there is no need to abandon the product that so many of
us like. Keep both, and everyone gets to be happy.

Seriously though aside from Lego Direct the whole company seems to be a perfect
example of how NOT to run a business.
Well, Bionicle and Harry Potter products seem to have been pretty successful.
Galidor has yet to be tested, but you never know...

In what part is Galidor different from GI Joe?

This sort of toys, not related to the LEGO main line, might be produced by
LEGO under a different name. Just a thought...
This way, they would keep the profit from a well explored merchandising
agreement without dilluting the brand name. It is a bit as if you would see
"Tupperware" written in every plastic stuff on earth: the brand is known,
but one immediately associates it with the kitchen utensils alone.
Everything beyond that, and it seems as if they were taking over the Earth
or something... ;-)
Just create a different identity, a heteronym. Easy enough.

How much longer can the Company run on
parents who grew up with Lego but do not know the diffence today?  Is Lego
Direct a mere gnat playing tug-of-war with a giant about to walk off a cliff?

IIRC the reported losses for the company relate to the period before
Bionicle (& Potter), it will be interesting to see what a full year of
Bionicle and Potter will do...

When are the results shown anyway? Now that you mention, I got curious too...

Pedro