 General / 35582
Re: Toy Fair photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:55:11 GMT

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:GrFx6B.9py@lugnet.com...

Thing is, this stuff *will* go by the wayside, and TLC will probably lose • money
(I can't imagine them selling enough of that stuff to recoup all of the new
molds' and R&D costs) or at best break even.

Yeah.  I haven't seen the TV show yet myself, but Matt Gerber was telling me
today that its pretty well done.  The thing is, this type of show/product
combination product is going to come out, but is this something LEGO should be
doing?  No.

I hope its a flop.  And I hope the conclusion LEGO draws from it flopping is
they really need to get back to the solid system at their core.

They've been saying that they are getting back to their core product, but their
actions don't show it.

What gets me is that those financial resources could have been poured into the
System, making *it* stronger and more viable.

Yeah.

The other sentiment here I agree with, many others on LUGNET share it, is Direct
is doing a great thing.  But, they are the only part of the company really doing
a great thing.  Retail is spinning headlong into a media-saturated licensed toy
model, which closes off the play possibilities because of the storytelling.
They won't get back to the system that made them this popular when we were kids
(and that spans a long time, I'm 19 and people 10, 20, 30 years older than me
say the same thing).

If LEGO continues these trends in retail, there will be no AFOL of tomorrow as
we know it today.  Unless those kids are lucky enough to have an AFOL family
member who gives them the good stuff to play with.

Talk to Allan Bedford sometime about his father, the Adult Fan of Meccano, and
the plight of the Meccano company who didn't listen to their adult fans.

Why has the simple concept of "don't fix it if it ain't broke" become so
difficult for Billund to grasp?  They have created the most awesome toy ever
invented; why anyone would abandon that is difficult for *me* to grasp...

I hold almost all media-linked toys in contempt, and exalt toys like the LEGO I
grew up with.

I long for the days of simple themes - M:Tron, Blacktron, Futuron, etc... they
were open ended, gave the child a starting point to create *their own* story.

Or has the media sucked our kids' imaginations so dry that they can't create an
original story?  I don't think so (yet), and I definitely hope that never
becomes the case.

-Tim