 General / 35583
Re: need help with lego direction!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:48:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter Root writes:

what do i do?

Well, you have options: Fill out the surveys on the feedback sections of
www.lego.com, spend tons of money on online auctions for the older style sets
you prefer, buy related items in marketplaces like www.bricklink.com, and talk
about it here on Lugnet.

Talking about it (constructively, so to speak) on Lugnet may or may not be seen
by TLC, but the increasing attempts by Lego Direct to recognize our niche of
the marketplace suggest someone is listening, at least a little.

The surveys from lego.com are a clear sign that they also recognize that
auctions and other marketplaces are viable for older LEGO sets.  They said it
themselves on their site that the Guarded Inn was selling for $300 online
before they reissued it.  They are starting to realize that an adult who spends
that kind of money on ebay *could* be giving it to TLC instead.  But they are
just starting.

I have sent out a rant post or two about the recent offerings too.  But I have
learned (partly from the responses from other AFOLs, and partly from the slow
but certain improvements at Lego Direct) that hope is far from lost for those
who want "old style sets" or "quality themes".

My only concern remaining, and if anyone at TLC is reading, this could be a
warning, is that (as many have said) the newer changes in the line up are to
compete with the Computer Game generation.  I think of LEGO as a toy that lasts
a long time, both physically and in the interest of the child (such as this one
child who hasn't lost interest in 24 years).  Computer games are not like that
at all.  The computer games I had 24 years ago lost my interest within weeks.
Today's video games often take a couple weeks to play, so maybe their interest
lasts a little longer, but once I have beaten the game a couple times it gets
old real fast.  With the exception of Civ2, I haven't seen a PC game that can
get me to return to playing after the first two months.  And I can't go out and
spend another $40 on a new game that truly adds to the old one, the way that a
$40 LEGO set adds to a collection.

That being said, I don't think LEGO has anything to worry about in the video
game market.  Maybe the numbers say differently, but I am willing to bet that
the current product lines that AFOLs are not fond of, those lines trying to
compete with such games, will be forgotten by the kids who play with them just
as easily as Pong.

Pong?  What's Pong?

...The better lines, those that strengthen the brand name, will be the ones
that today's kids still *play with* year after year...

My 2 Cents,
-Hendo