 General / 35566
Re: need help with lego direction!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:02:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter Root writes:

where is this direction of LEGO going with GALIDOR, Bellville, Jack stone
and any other line that makes a non-lego set.

If it is made by LEGO does that not make it a LEGO set? It's just not one
necessarily one you would buy.

these have to be the most hated themes for LEGO believers. add a lego brick
with some dolls and actionfigures to make these sets looks a lego.
rediculous, maybe its their idea of expanding to the brainless with limited
building abilities?

If LEGO wants to go into other types of toys then fine. I do not see too
many complaints that they are trying to enter the videogame market.

you might wonder how i feel about the DUPLO line, i liked the idea of
getting very young babies into lego a great idea, and their line is still
the best for an introduction to legos, but this galidor and jackstone junk
is not what i invisioned when lego came out with the goal of expanding, the
studios are great, the bionicle sets im not to fond of either but they are
still lego related.

I must say that the use of the word 'legos' makes you sound so mundane. ;-)
How is Jack Stone not LEGO related??? Just cause LEGO chooses to make a line
that contains many less-desirable elements does not make it non-LEGO related.

i hope this insanity stops soon, and that they go back to redisigning the
castle line to what it used to be, solid. remember the days when castles
where solid, looked like they belonged in the dark ages, not in some theater
setting. dont get me wrong i like the helmets, and figures, but the sets
they come with are limited in imagination. there i admit to it. remember the
crusader line? you could make the double catapult in a boat, maybe not a
very goodlooking boat, but when your 10 it can. it might be that lego is
going up against the video game industry. in video games everything looks
real, there is no imagination, and since this is what atracts kids today,
they feel the need to go this way too. but listen, it lacks serious
imagination, which i thought lego was all about. making a castle into an
airplane, making a wall into a cave. those were fun days. iv tried to
incorporate the new sets with my old sets, and it just isnt working. my old
castle sets incorporated with my ancient bricks just fine, and now im having
trouble, am i losing my imagination?

Now we get to the real issue, the problem may lie with your imagination.
Things may not look as cool to you now as it did when you were a kid. A
question you may want to ask yourself is do you play with your creations? If
not, do you play at all? Can a pen be a rocketship? Can a bunch of coins be
a football team?

I believe TV and Computers can retard the development of imagination for a
lot of people and as a society we depart from playing further and further.
Things that help are great novels that do not get captured on the movie
screen (in other words: read them not watch them), turning off the TV
occasionally, powering off the PC for a time (that includes LUGNET :-),
pouring out a pile of unsorted random bricks and building whatever with ONLY
what you have in front of you and then PLAYING with it.

what do i do?

See above for a couple of ideas.

a firm Lego believer, (not a purist, though pretty close to one)

I miss the Golden Age too. Hopefully, they will improve on the availablity
of good designs with good elements in all themes. One thing to remember, it
is not the size of your collection but what you do with it.

Peace Out,

Jude

Trimmed .castle