 General / 28165
Re: !!!IMPORTANT!!!-SPUDS No fault of TLG-!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:17:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com> writes:

I bring to your attention the 1-piece axle/propeller in 8855. I can see
*absolutely no justification* for that part.

Surely, if the propeller had been connected to an axle in the normal
way, it could have slipped off during play and hit a child in the
eye. Now, as it is always connected to the 1x4 beam, it is much safer,
even when spinning at high speed.

That may well have been TLC's justification, however I don't buy it.

Let's assume we're discussing MOCs using the part, because as it is on the
model, with the piston attached, and the problem with binding I also mentioned,
I don't see how it could turn fast enough to cause problems.

Now compare it to the propellers on the 8425. Much lower pitch, but could still
be made to turn pretty fast. I would argue that kids would be just as likely to
be injured by those as the 8855 POOP. And they're pretty tight on the shafts,
so I don't think it's too likely.

I would be happy with a part consisting of the propeller with an axle attached,
say 2 studs long, which could be put through the 1x4 & a standard 24t gear
attached. I think the likelihood of injury would be minimal, and the
re-usability factor greatly increased. It would also alleviate the binding
problem. Heck, even a "standard" 24t gear fixed to the axle would be better
than that useless one with one hole!

Regards

ROSCO