 General / 28088
Re: !!!IMPORTANT!!!-SPUDS No fault of TLG-!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:21:05 GMT

"Paul Gyugyi" <paul@gyugyi.com> wrote in message news:G9C6Fu.3uB@lugnet.com...
Hi Tim,
I agree with you completely, but I must correct you on the use
of a term:

SPUDs(*) are single-purpose-useless/unique-decorative pieces.
Think "rowboat". The 3-high 2x4 brick is not a SPUD.

Ok, my bad.  The Single Purpose Useless...thing kinda did me in there :-)
Still, POOPs are evil, nasty and very bad things.

POOPs are pieces-out-of-other-pieces. I used to call these SAs (**),
or Structural Alternatives.  The best example is the new LoM
connector piece that is a 2x4 plate, a 2x2 plate, and a 2x2 tile with
technic peg sticking up.  It holds together much better in models,
and is a good alternative to have in models. a 2x4x3 brick is
not necessarily a bad thing(***), I can think of models where the added
strength would help, but a set that pointlessly uses one where the
design does not require it is reducing future play value of that set.

Ok.

So, how much money was wasted on the fab line for those elevated
road plates?

I don't know figures...but POOPs are really a waste of money, especially when
molds of their component parts already exist and have been in use for years.

(**) yes, you could probably scramble the letters and fit the theme,
although that wasn't my intent.

Tee hee :-)  I've always wanted an acronym for FART, to fit the theme myself.
Kyle Keppler has made a few attempts..but they remain lesser known ;-)

(***) I've been told the bricks like the 3-high 2x4 were just the
lego cad engineers getting their hands around the new modelling and
molding process.  What better way to get your feet wet than by
stretching and combining bricks?

You told me that last spring at your place.  Kinda sad, and I don't think that's
_all_ of it, but has to be part of the reason.  Every time I address the POOP
thing with a TLC employee...I get some 'studies have shown that kids...' excuse
of an answer.  When, I really think that kids are smart enough to use the
component parts.  Plus, a POOP ruins the play value of a set by packaging less
parts with it and allowing for less alternative possibilities.  If POOPs didn't
exist, AFOLs wouldn't have a ton to complain about, and LEGO could cater to
_both_ markets.

-Tim