 General / 28011
Re: !!!IMPORTANT!!!-SPUDS No fault of TLG-!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:57:09 GMT

"Mike Cormier" <jcormier@stfx.ca> wrote in message news:G98BDD.92q@lugnet.com...
We at Lugnet have, IMO, been far too critical of TLG. The opening page says
that Lugnet "has been called `the friendliest place on the internet". Not to
TLG. Perhaps new sets don't look as good, but many, if not most, lugnites buy
sets for the parts. Lately we haven't been giving TLG the credit they deserve.
They have an extremely difficult job, trying to please such a large audience.
The so-called "SPUD" seems to be the ultimate solution. The younger audience
can use them more easily, and the Lego expert can find other uses for them. • But
only if he/she wants to. Lego is evolving, and so must our mindset. There are
wonderful creations out there. Let's build more.
                                                 Mike C.

I agree that we've been far too critical of TLC as a group.  But, I disagree on
SPUDs being any sort of 'solution.'

When I chilled at Erik Olson's place just two weeks ago, he showed me a set that
I don't own...it was the 'Bridge To Nowhere' or...the City Center bridge set.
In this set, was a 2x4x3 brick!!  I cannot understand for the life of me what is
so hard about stacking 3 2x4 bricks on top of each other.  If mold costs are so
high, they really should NOT be making parts like this.

That's just one of many examples I can use, but for the sake of time, I won't.

Juniorization is still a present evil in the LEGO product line.  People have
explained to me (from TLC) that its an effort to transition between Duplo and
System.  Fine - I can understand the need for that, but I believe they are
concentrating way too much on those products.

I'm a firm believer in the original LEGO system of play.  Some of the products
we've seen stray too far from it, and some parts they make new molds for are too
redundant.  An unnecessary and imprudent move in my opinion for a company who
lost USD 75m last year.

In the past few years we've seen the number of new parts introduced go up, at le
ast its percieved that way (anyone care to do some actual figures?)  Most of
these parts are painfully over-simplified rehashings of old tried and true
parts.

I think that LEGO is sinking to the level of the intellectually slumped kids
from the entertainment industry and the video game generation.  And I believe
that LEGO can do just fine while continuing to fulfil its original goal of
providing stimulating and constructive play for children.  Somehow I can't
justify Juniorized sets as 'constructive.'

And I've observed kids in toy stores, talked to kids, and talked to parents.
They notice that LEGO products aren't the high caliber they have been in the
past.  Then I usually sigh in agreement and frown as I tell them that the whole
subject probably wouldn't fit in a couple hour lecture.

I've posted my feelings about Dacta before to these groups, so I won't go too
into detail with them.  Basically, Dacta being the educational wing of LEGO, I
think they would do themselves good to push that in schools more.  Kids will be
challenged by the complex models and problem solving techniques and then want to
play with LEGO at home.  And they'll want to play with the advanced LEGO, not
the Juniorized stuff.

Kids do want to be challenged, but they're also victims to a greedy
entertainment industry which sucks the willpower out of their minds.  And, that,
sucks.

As AFOLs, we want LEGO parts like they used to make them, sets that facilitate
the aquisition of parts fundamental to large construction projects we like to
build.  But, as they continue to mold more and more parts, SPUDs, POOPs, etc,
we're less able to customize stuff, or at least have to pay more to get the
fewer fundamental parts.

LEGO's target market has and always will be kids, except possibly in niches like
Mindstorms and Technic.

They think they have to simplify things to keep up with kids, I disagree.  I
believe that if LEGO remains true to its roots and the vision of the system of
play, they can satisfy both the kid and the AFOL.  And, I think that they would
have a lot longer term brand strength, association of the brand with quality,
and profits.

LEGO has announced a goal of theirs, to become the strongest brand among
households with kids by 2005.  How will they go about doing that?  Licensing,
diversifying their product line, etc.  I believe that eventually they will
dilute their name and product so much that people will become sick of seeing the
name everywhere, and no longer be associated with quality products.  If they
focused a bit narrower, kept building on their strong system behind them, and
promoted it, I believe the brand would have a stronger association with quality.
And I don't want to see LEGO become the next Nike of advertising....I don't want
to hurl when I see the bright red logo, like I hurl when I see the swish.

As for LEGO Direct, I'm very pleased with their actions.  After meeting the
group of LD employees who have posted on LUGNET, I realize that they're AFOLs
just like we are.  That's a cool feeling.  They ARE a business though, and as
they say, if it quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and walks like a duck, it
must be a duck.  So, I don't expect them to bow down to the AFOL community in
the least.  But part of their mission is catering to the AFOLs, getting
feedback, etc.  We've seen that through bulk parts, events they've supported
(PNLTC train record, Kidvention, numerous other train shows).  These things also
take time, especially in a multi-billion dollar company that's as old as LEGO
is.  So, we as AFOLs need to be patient with the new developmets from LD, and
not be so critical.  Some of the comments - personal even - tearing down LD and
the employees are totally uncalled for.  Like you said Mike, coming from the
'Friendliest Place on the Internet.'

The sad thing is a lot of the people cutting down LD are very unfamiliar with
their operation, the people, and what exactly goes on.  I understand not
everyone has the opportunities some of us have to talk to them and visit there,
that's life, unfortunately.  But, what I do submit to those who like to cut down
LD is, those of us who have been there or been in communication with them, for
the most part, don't have a lot of negative to say about them.  That should say
something, the way I see it.

So.. in summary:

Juniorization: Bad - when not put in proper perspective
LEGO System of Play: Very Good
LEGO Direct: Good

That's my 2 studs worth... :-)

-Tim