 General / 28131
Re: !!!IMPORTANT!!!-SPUDS No fault of TLG-!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:24:33 GMT

Tim,
I agree with just about everything you said.
The solution, as I see it, is stricter "age-rating" by TLC.  POOPS, SPUDS,
and SA's (and other acronyms for combining pieces) _DO_ have their place,
IHMO, as "transitional elements" for younger children.  This is, I believe,
what TLC has stated the purpose of Juniorization to be: to ease the
transition from Duplo to "normal" bricks.
But, IHMO, the set designers make way too much use of these shortcut pieces.
Why, oh why, does seemingly every Star Wars set have to include the large
cylinder "engine" piece and/or the "laser gun" piece?  (Sorry, I'm too lazy
at the moment to look up the LCAD descriptions)  Can't they make up these
shapes some other way?  It is almost as if the designers have a list of
elements they are supposed to use in a new design, to justify the existence
of the new elements.
Also, and somewhat off topic, why do many sets include the "odd-colored"
brick?  You know what I'm talking about, that 2x4 or 2x2 brick invisibly
buried inside a TLC-designed model.  It is almost always an odd color, such
as blue inside a grey Star Wars space ship.  It serves only a structural
purpose, but why does it have to be a different color?
Again, I think the solution is to age-rate the sets.  Make the Juniorized
sets for ages 5-7, 5-8 or so.  Then have another tier of sets for 8-12 that
don't use the Juniorized elements, and make the designers stick to the more
basic elements.  That way, AFOL's would know from the box whether a set
contains Juniorized elements, and parents would know whether  their kid
being weaned from Duplo could handle a particular set.
If we all keep adding our 2 cents worth, pretty soon we'll be talking real
money...
James Wilson
Dallas, Texas