 General / 28051
Re: !!!IMPORTANT!!!-SPUDS No fault of TLG-!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:44:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Juniorization: Bad - when not put in proper perspective
LEGO System of Play: Very Good
LEGO Direct: Good

I agree with almost everything Tim stated.

If people are critical of TLC or Lego Direct it's because I don't think that
it necessarily follows from anything that we already know that TLC has to
continue to plod along like a dinosaur with a 3 years to market strategy
before making decisions to the betterment of their business.  If Lego Direct
wants to play on the internet, they had better adopt a faster to market
strategy in my humble opinion.  Who knows? Perhaps they have adopted a more
flexible strategy.  The fact that they are a larger company suggests to me
that smaller business mistakes at a LD level should be more easily tolerated
within their larger overall business strategies.  I would even suggest that
LD could be used more interestingly to experiment DIRECTLY with the internet
market rather than waste time, money, etc. on marketing research, the slack
being taken up elsewhere within the larger profit scheme.  But whatever...

And I do think Tim makes some very interesting points about resources
misdirected and wasted on certain toy lines, certain element designs, and
attempts at expanding brand recognition.  Todd Lehman has raised similar
issues before as well.  I think TLC would do well to rethink some of those
strategies if their presumed goal of remaining a toy maker is sincere.

If some of the execs at TLC are just looking at the sell off value of the
company -- well they don't have my support nor should they have the support
of the employees at TLC.  Such things usually mean improving profits at the
expense of squeezing the employees of their wages, reducing product quality,
factory shut-downs, etc. And these things are usually accomplished by giving
the execs making these decisions nice fat $$$ bonuses -- I guess it makes
the idea of screwing others more palatable. These are the things that make a
company look ripe for the taking.  If that's what they are up to, then I
don't care for that at all.

I don't know that many of us are interested in bashing the people at TLC,
just some of the decisions the company makes as a whole.  So yes, it's not
personal -- it's business.  I criticize the company itself, and NOT the people.
Frankly, I don't care about the people in the exact manner they almost
certainly don't care about me.  Company <---> Customer.  That's about it.
If the company acts wisely, then none need make critical comments.  When it
acts foolishly, it opens itself up to the possibility of ridicule.

If criticizing a company like TLC is to "tilt at windmills," then I can't
even figure out what defending the windmill is about at all...

...wake up people!

-- Richard