 General / 28086
Re: !!!IMPORTANT!!!-SPUDS No fault of TLG-!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:26:18 GMT

Hi Tim,
I agree with you completely, but I must correct you on the use
of a term:

SPUDs(*) are single-purpose-useless/unique-decorative pieces.
Think "rowboat". The 3-high 2x4 brick is not a SPUD.

POOPs are pieces-out-of-other-pieces. I used to call these SAs (**),
or Structural Alternatives.  The best example is the new LoM
connector piece that is a 2x4 plate, a 2x2 plate, and a 2x2 tile with
technic peg sticking up.  It holds together much better in models,
and is a good alternative to have in models. a 2x4x3 brick is
not necessarily a bad thing(***), I can think of models where the added
strength would help, but a set that pointlessly uses one where the
design does not require it is reducing future play value of that set.

So, how much money was wasted on the fab line for those elevated
road plates?

-gyug

(*) Since I'm responsible for the term, I'll take the liberty of enforcing
the definition. :)
c.f. http://news.lugnet.com/belville/?n=38

(**) yes, you could probably scramble the letters and fit the theme,
although that wasn't my intent.

(***) I've been told the bricks like the 3-high 2x4 were just the
lego cad engineers getting their hands around the new modelling and
molding process.  What better way to get your feet wet than by
stretching and combining bricks?

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
But, I disagree on
SPUDs being any sort of 'solution.'

When I chilled at Erik Olson's place just two weeks ago, he showed me a set that
I don't own...it was the 'Bridge To Nowhere' or...the City Center bridge set.
In this set, was a 2x4x3 brick!!  I cannot understand for the life of me what is
so hard about stacking 3 2x4 bricks on top of each other.  If mold costs are so
high, they really should NOT be making parts like this.