 General / 25871
Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 00:59:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Fred Carcanague writes:
Shred them??? I would gladly pay the shipping for instructions for sets that
I don't already own (which is still quite a few despite recent Lego binges).
Send me an e-mail of which instructions you have many of and maybe we can
make a deal.

Sorry, I've done that before - even held onto them and put them up for silly
low prices like a nickel or something (plus shipping) and 99.9% of the time
they just sit there.  Every once in a while I will see that someone is
looking for a specific set of instructions and if I have them in a set I
haven't broken up yet I will usually take them out and offer to ship them to
the person for just the cost of shipping.

But the reality is that is something that happens a couple or three times a
year and while it might make that person's day, for me to try to do that on
any sort of organized level would just be too much of a waste of my time,
especially considering I wouldn't make anything from it.  Not to mention I'd
have to deal with keeping piles and piles of instruction booklets taking up
space and getting in the way.

And I'm not talking "valuable" instructions here either.  The oldest ones
I've shredded so far were from 6078.  Most have been (and are still) from
1996-2000, with the bulk in the 1998-2000 range.  I'm not shredding 6067 or
6074 instructions - mainly because I have those sets and keep them whole.

Nobody's going to miss the instructions from dozens of copies of last year's
Ninja sets or this year's Star Wars sets.

At least I'm putting them to "good" use as packing material.