 General / 25354
Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:44:51 GMT

Chris Phillips wrote:

In lugnet.general, Kevin Zwicker writes:
I am getting buried under empty set boxes. Yet I am reticent to throw them
away for some reason. Right now I cut up the small ones and store them in
the larger ones. Unfortunately, I am running out of space to store the large
ones too. (Actually I have already run out of space)

I was wondering what you do with them? Do most people throw them out? Cut
them up? Or keep each one in imaculate condition?

Any advice?

Kev Z

I am in a similar predicament.

There are two reasons why I keep the boxes:
1.  To be able to take inventory of my LEGO collection.  I haven't tallied
everything in several months, but I maintain a spreadsheet that tracks the
number of pieces in my collection and my average cost per piece, based on
knowing exactly how many of each set I have purchased.
2.  Some of the alternate models depicted on the boxes are really cool, and
I keep telling myself that I'm going to build some of them someday.

But I have recently been overwhelmed by the empties, so I am now collapsing
all of them to make room.  For now, I'm storing the flattened boxes in
larger cardboard boxes, but once I finish taking inventory I will probably
recycle the duplicates.

I just had to deal with this. I also keep an inventory in a spreadsheet.
I am forced to update it every once in a while because the input to the
inventory is the pile of boxes on the living room couch.

I decided to save at most 4 copies of boxes for each set. Some sets I'm
only saving one or two. This has dramatically reduced my storage
requirements (though I may need to get more agressive). I plan to
eventually cut up one copy of most sets to make an easier to use set of
"alternate model" pictures. I'm also sorting them so that for example, a
6289 box will hold smaller Pirate theme boxes.

The issue which has led me to actually toss boxes is the realization
that 99% (or more) of the sets out there will sell for at least as much
when sold as parts vs. being a "complete in box" (in fact, for very few
sets will being "in box" make that much of a difference so long as you
have the instructions - which are much more compact). There are a few
sets which I couldn't bring myself to discard boxes for, but so long as
that number is small relative to the number of sets, I don't think
that's a problem.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com