 General / 25372
Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:32:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Aaron West writes:
I just envy Mark Sandlin's storage and sorting system
seen in oh so many of his MOC photos.  Must make it real easy
to work.  Buckets suck (parts in 'em are good though!).

I must say from my own experience that having your LEGO neatly sorted really
does make building much easier.  I have about 80% of my collection stored in
clear plastic Akro Mils drawer units, sorted by both shape and color.
(Wal-Mart recently dropped the price on these drawer units by about 25%; a
bit too late for me, but maybe not too late for you...)  I use blue LEGO
tubs stacked beneath my building table to store BURPs and other large or
plentiful pieces.

No more digging through a big ol' bucket, scratching up all my LEGO, looking
for that odd piece that I _think_ I should have three more of-- I can
(almost) always put my hand on exactly what I need at any given moment.  It
is also much easier to determine whether I have enough pieces to finish a
project before I even start, or to decide to build it in yellow instead of
red, or to consciously avoid using relatively rare parts when I can make do
with parts that I have plenty of.  I have even occasionally decided to build
something just to use up pieces that I have "too many of."

But there are trade-offs.  I do find myself sometimes trying to remember
which drawer I put something into.  Even with clear drawers, it can be
difficult to tell what's in the back of a drawer, especially if the pieces
in question are black.  And due to the inevitable wasted space, LEGO in
organizers takes up much more volume than the same amount of LEGO in a
single bin.

Over time, I've developed a reasonably workable piece catalogueing system
that even my NL-wife (a librarian by trade) can appreciate.  This is
essential-- you've gotta instinctively know what drawer to reach for or else
you'd be better off with everything just dumped into one big garbage can anyway.

I'm still trying to sort the remaining 20% of my collection, but it takes a
lot of time.  (Especially after the fall clearance sales!)  And sorting
pieces is not nearly as much fun as building!