 General / 25352
25351  |  25353
Subject:
What do you do with your empty boxes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:05:02 GMT

I am getting buried under empty set boxes. Yet I am reticent to throw them
away for some reason. Right now I cut up the small ones and store them in
the larger ones. Unfortunately, I am running out of space to store the large
ones too. (Actually I have already run out of space)

I was wondering what you do with them? Do most people throw them out? Cut
them up? Or keep each one in imaculate condition?

Any advice?

Kev Z

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) I am in a similar predicament. There are two reasons why I keep the boxes: 1. To be able to take inventory of my LEGO collection. I haven't tallied everything in several months, but I maintain a spreadsheet that tracks the number of pieces in (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)
  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) Hi Kevin, I can definitely relate. I think I have some silly idea that if I ever need to sell my sets they'll be worth more with the box, but I also know that I'm never going to sell them. Of course, if anything ever happens to me my family (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)
  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

Here are some suggestions: - Viking burial at sea - Set the box aflame and push it out onto a lake or pond. It's not the most ecologically sound (or safe) way of doing it, but a big box, like the Silver Champion is sure to attract a crowd. - Flatten (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

I kept all my boxes for a while, but eventually gave up due to lack of space. I throw them out right away now. I never plan to sell any of my LEGO! Kevin Zwicker <kevin1@netrover.com> wrote in message news:G5L1KE.B92@lugnet.com... (...) large (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

Wow. I just got online for the specific purpose of asking the question. I expect at least 5 or 10 sets, including a few big ones for X-Mas and I'm tyring to figure out where to put em. "Kevin Zwicker" <kevin1@netrover.com> wrote in message (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)
  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) Up until really last year and the Star Wars sets, I never was a duplicate set collector. Generally because I could never afford it. I still have the duplicate boxes of the SW sets, though in buying duplicates of the Shell sets, I'm only (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)
  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) I toss 'em in the recycle without a second thought. I buy Lego for the Lego. ;) YMMV James (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)
  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) The only boxes I currently have intact are from "my favorites", ones I could not bear to cut down because they had been my prize finds (6090, 6973, 6982, and 6286-etc.). The rest get folded flat or cut into backs and fronts, depending on (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)
  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) I used to chop them up! I'd keep the front cover and the back cover and that was it. Then, when I was about 16 or so I found them (they were all stacked under my bed in one complete box, one of the police boats that floated, and I tossed them (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)
  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

I keep them and have since the mid-early days of my collection...before that I threw them out. I store them in the large space beneath my bed, though the idea of putting smaller boxes in bigger ones never occurred to me...what a moron I can be (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)
  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

Hang on to them! I know that this suggestion is against, what I percieve to be, the happy-go-lucky, building's-all-we-care-about attitude that flavours the LUGNET community. I'm not an evil "Collector's Edition" tyrant, I just think that a little (...) (23 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)
  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) The only boxes I keep are for the sets I plan on keeping completely separate from my parts bins, which is a very small percentage of my collection and a miniscule percentage of the sets I buy. I throw out the rest. I used to use them to ship (...) (23 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)