 General / 25352
  What do you do with your empty boxes?

I am getting buried under empty set boxes. Yet I am reticent to throw them away for some reason. Right now I cut up the small ones and store them in the larger ones. Unfortunately, I am running out of space to store the large ones too. (Actually I (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) I am in a similar predicament. There are two reasons why I keep the boxes: 1. To be able to take inventory of my LEGO collection. I haven't tallied everything in several months, but I maintain a spreadsheet that tracks the number of pieces in (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) I just had to deal with this. I also keep an inventory in a spreadsheet. I am forced to update it every once in a while because the input to the inventory is the pile of boxes on the living room couch. I decided to save at most 4 copies of (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) Hi Kevin, I can definitely relate. I think I have some silly idea that if I ever need to sell my sets they'll be worth more with the box, but I also know that I'm never going to sell them. Of course, if anything ever happens to me my family (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

Here are some suggestions: - Viking burial at sea - Set the box aflame and push it out onto a lake or pond. It's not the most ecologically sound (or safe) way of doing it, but a big box, like the Silver Champion is sure to attract a crowd. - Flatten (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

I kept all my boxes for a while, but eventually gave up due to lack of space. I throw them out right away now. I never plan to sell any of my LEGO! Kevin Zwicker <kevin1@netrover.com> wrote in message news:G5L1KE.B92@lugnet.com... (...) large (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) The vacuum formed trays aren't styrene, they're #1 plastic (PETE). Our county has several recycling centers, so the ones I don't use for sorting (the Technic ones usually make nice sorting trays), I toss in with the soda bottles. (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

Wow. I just got online for the specific purpose of asking the question. I expect at least 5 or 10 sets, including a few big ones for X-Mas and I'm tyring to figure out where to put em. "Kevin Zwicker" <kevin1@netrover.com> wrote in message (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) This one made me laugh out loud :) Actually, having taken over our apartment, we only used to nest boxes, but now we're cutting down the smaller ones and stuffing them into the larger ones, (dan has never had a closet, and mine has the dining (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) Up until really last year and the Star Wars sets, I never was a duplicate set collector. Generally because I could never afford it. I still have the duplicate boxes of the SW sets, though in buying duplicates of the Shell sets, I'm only (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) I toss 'em in the recycle without a second thought. I buy Lego for the Lego. ;) YMMV James (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) The only boxes I currently have intact are from "my favorites", ones I could not bear to cut down because they had been my prize finds (6090, 6973, 6982, and 6286-etc.). The rest get folded flat or cut into backs and fronts, depending on (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) I used to chop them up! I'd keep the front cover and the back cover and that was it. Then, when I was about 16 or so I found them (they were all stacked under my bed in one complete box, one of the police boats that floated, and I tossed them (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) I must say from my own experience that having your LEGO neatly sorted really does make building much easier. I have about 80% of my collection stored in clear plastic Akro Mils drawer units, sorted by both shape and color. (Wal-Mart recently (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

I keep them and have since the mid-early days of my collection...before that I threw them out. I store them in the large space beneath my bed, though the idea of putting smaller boxes in bigger ones never occurred to me...what a moron I can be (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) Or send them to me as a real gift -- if they're the smallish US$6 or US$8 size boxes. I can use them for shipping stuff. --Todd (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) I decided (finally) to get rid of mine. I solved problem 1 by still having the set instructions, and #2 by realizing I never will get around to building their alternate creation. :) Besides, what can you build out of the boxes? They stick (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

Hang on to them! I know that this suggestion is against, what I percieve to be, the happy-go-lucky, building's-all-we-care-about attitude that flavours the LUGNET community. I'm not an evil "Collector's Edition" tyrant, I just think that a little (...) (23 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) The problem is that when you buy as many sets as I do you don't have space for all the boxes, and besides, from what I have seen, an older set will sell for at least as much by selling it in parts lots as by selling it whole. Of course some (...) (23 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) The only boxes I keep are for the sets I plan on keeping completely separate from my parts bins, which is a very small percentage of my collection and a miniscule percentage of the sets I buy. I throw out the rest. I used to use them to ship (...) (23 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

"Jeremy Dullard" <jemgnu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:G6Dsvw.D2v@lugnet.com... (...) I'm assuming that this part is meant tongue in cheek as all these would probably be worth a lot if you left them under your bed for a significant period of (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

Sorry all but I just throw 'em away and don't give it a second thought. Now if we were talking about Transformers, that would be a different story. -- Kenneth A. Drumm Ph.D. who buys Lego for building and creating not for collecting (23 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

Shred them??? I would gladly pay the shipping for instructions for sets that I don't already own (which is still quite a few despite recent Lego binges). Send me an e-mail of which instructions you have many of and maybe we can make a deal. Fred (23 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) Actually, what might be better is if you post a list of the instructions you're most looking for (in lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade of course). Many of us may have instructions we're willing to part with (so far, I have only thrown out (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) Sorry, I've done that before - even held onto them and put them up for silly low prices like a nickel or something (plus shipping) and 99.9% of the time they just sit there. Every once in a while I will see that someone is looking for a (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)

  Re: What do you do with your empty boxes?

(...) Yeah, that's a much smarter suggestion. Especially given the fact that the person looking for the instructions would essentially want to get them for free (and why not - they're not worth anything to me, other than as packing material - which (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.storage)