 General / 22740
Re: Is LEGO killing off the very concept of a Theme?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 01:50:49 GMT

According to an article in ID magazine, March/April 2000, Lego posted its
first loss since the companies founding in the 1930s. The article contends
that this is due in part to the widely expanded theme product line.

Honestly, is this really a big deal? I am most interested in getting cool
parts to make cool custom creations...

jake

In lugnet.general, Bradley Dale writes:
I've noticed some disturbing trends.

1.  Theme logos are no longer used- the old Castle flag, the red & white TOWN
roadsign, the word SPACE in white against a starry background.  Very familiar
logos I'd like to see brought back.  Now we just have subtheme logos, and a • lot
of them.
2.  Many favourite Themes have been killed off already- Pirates, Western,
Aquanauts, and Space are history.  Star Wars (new), Adventurers (new), Town,
Castle and Trains are the only ones left.  The fate of Underground is • uncertain
at this point, but it won't last to 2004.
3.  Themes will often feature only a single subtheme at a time.  New subthemes
seem to requrie the discontinuation of old ones.  There is very little overlap
between figures in different subthemes, and the theme lack a sense of unity.
4.  Subthemes that are switched annually and run for very brief periods of
time, making the theme look worse as a whole.  I hate this.  Why can't we have
a Green Ninja Fortress in 2000?
5.  Box changes that seem out of the theme.  A Knights Kingdom box doesn't • look
like a Castle box, and that is just wrong.

Are we going to have only subthemes in the new century?