 General / 22756
Re: Is LEGO killing off the very concept of a Theme?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:15:15 GMT

Aaron West at maniac@vol.com wrote:

If I may jump in here with a thought of my own...  All of the new subthemes
have too short a shelf life and try to throw too much in a single set ( who
among us can afford ALL of the larger sets?) which seems to destroy the idea
of LEGO building.  The old TOWN theme, CASTLE and SPACE had mostly sub $40 USD
sets designed to be combined in sort of modular play.  Each one had something
special that you may want without blowing the whole wad on one box.

Yes! I love the concept of making sets with li'l technic-pin connectors so
you can buy a few of them and rearrange them into a larger, more varied
castle, space base, pirate hideout, etc. etc. I wish they'd get back to
this.

They
revolved around making up your own little LEGO world for these cute yellow
headed people to live happily in (honestly didn't they just look so happy?).
When did all this change?  LEGO began to change this with the introduction of
firearms in the Pirate theme (a personal favorite, and very popular).
Suddenly LEGO people were begining to show battle scars and a loss of appetite
for peaceful life.  Only the Imperial Trading Post had ANY sort of day in the
life value, and how many of us purchased a Pizza Restaurant just to get some
village parts and a wench who wouldn't steal your gold (hearts, maybe).

I don't mind the "grumpy" looking characters, but I think they should have
been mixed in with the happy ones so you get variety, not replacement.

LEGO,
reintroduce some daily life to the themes, cut out juniorization, more sets at
lower prices with more pieces, blend themes together for cross purchases and
stop discontinuing sets and themes after only one year!  LEGO just needs a
town or a rest stop between battlezones.  Pizza anyone?

I agree. I'm really disappointed with the lack of regular folks. There sure
are a lot of Police, Fire, and Construction dudes running around, tho. :^/

~Mark
--
Mark's Lego Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego