 General / 22772
Re: Is LEGO killing off the very concept of a Theme?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:44:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Aaron West writes:
If I may jump in here with a thought of my own...  All of the new subthemes
have too short a shelf life and try to throw too much in a single set ( who
among us can afford ALL of the larger sets?) which seems to destroy the idea
of LEGO building.  The old TOWN theme, CASTLE and SPACE had mostly sub $40 USD
sets designed to be combined in sort of modular play.  Each one had something
special that you may want without blowing the whole wad on one box.  They
revolved around making up your own little LEGO world for these cute yellow
headed people to live happily in (honestly didn't they just look so happy?).

The worst subtheme for this is the new Race range.

5919 Turbo Tiger was designed to play with the 6602 Scorpion Buggy.
6602 Scorpion Buggy was designed to play with the 5919 Turbo Tiger.
6616 Rocket Dragster was designed to play with the 6714 Speed Dragster.
6617 Tough Truck Rally is a pure standalone set.
6713 Grip-n-Go Challenge is a pure standalone set.
6714 Speed Dragster was designed to play with the 6616 Rocket Dragster.

Not really a subtheme even, just a bunch of sets with limited interaction.