 General / 22849
Re: Is LEGO killing off the very concept of a Theme?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 18:05:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss writes:
It's easier to mass-market product when it looks like a totally
brand-new concept.  So having long-time Themes hanging around is
counter-productive, marketing-wise.

Plus, "Space", "Castle", and "Town" aren't exciting.  Too vague and general
and all-encompassing.

But those're just my interpretations of TLC's actions.

I'd agree with this interpretation. I'd suggest that fans try to respect TLC's
will to survive, even while feeling nostalgic.

From a marketing point of view, I'd also say that "modeling" in general is kinda
dead. By modeling I mean like the concept of a jigsaw puzzle- challenging, takes
a while, requires concentration while working toward a final product which you
can be proud of, but then sits on a shelf (certainly not thrown around the
room).

Kids today with their shorter attention spans (not saying that's bad) seem to
put a higher value on what's "cool" at this second. And I believe parents see
their kids (dare I say boys?) as "playing with their LEGOs" even while they're
hurling the bricks at each other, crashing semi-ships and making explosion
sounds.

And in the toy store, I'd have to guess that adults shopping for kids have less
time for their Christmas shopping or whatever. (Do kids still plan their lists
out of the SEARS wishbook? I don't think so.) So the parent or other adult
shopper may see these distinct LEGO themes, view them as "collectable" and worry
about potentially buying a set that the kid already has. Or worry that maybe the
kid thinks Castle sets are totally "uncool." Or maybe the kid already has all of
the sets in their fav theme.

Without strict categorization, the LEGO aisle looks more like "any set will do."
So, "I'll just buy him something that's expensive and looks cool." Less
thinking, more impulse. - Of course this is all only a guess on my part. But
collectability now seems only to go as far as Throbots and TurboRiders (or
whatever they're called). I'd bet TLC doesn't even like people refering to their
products as "sets."

TLC, as we know, is banking on their BRAND, BRAND, BRAND now and creating a
whole
LEGO Lifestyle. so breaking away from "the old LEGO" is probably a good thing in
their view. Blurring boundries. I just worry about the system of elements being
sacrificed. I'm losing sight of the core. It hurts me most to see that
impression of an engineering marvel fade away.

Oh, and don't forget the dropping of 'SYSTEM'. It's made my life miserable in
adjusting the set database...

-Suz