 General / 19776
Re: Building the A10 Thunderbolt "Warthog"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:22:52 GMT

Mark Sandlin wrote:
In lugnet.build, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Or have I seriously misconceived the size of the gun?  I'm not really an
aviation buff, but I was thinking that the gun was a six barrel 20mm,
which isn't _that_ large...  I think.
It's a 30mm with seven barrels. But I agree the technic pulley would be
too large. sometimes I make gatling cannons with a 2x2 turntable, and a
couple of 2x2 round plates with a handful of 1x1 cylinders to simulate the
"barrels." you only end up with 4 barrels, but it looks neat. A technic axle
would probably be closest, scale-wise.

Really?  I recently (a few years ago) put my head up to the muzzle (good thing
it was parked and unloaded, eh? :-) and it was *totally* huge.  20 or 30mm per
barrel is probably close, but the cannon assembly is much bigger.  The 2x2
would actually be a lot closer in scale.  You could probably get away with 4
technic axles to represent the barrels, or maybe even 7 axles held together by
a rubber band inside the fuselage.

_Smithsonian_ magazine had a fun article on the A-10 a year or two ago, with
some discussion on the Warthog's new lease on life due to its performance
during Desert Storm, and on the evolution of the Nighthog.  The article
probably got most of its material from, I dunno, _Stars & Stripes Presents
Military Aviation and Arms Weekly_ or some such, but it was still a good read.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Uh, two.  Including this one.