 Off-Topic / Debate / 6000
Re: Building the A10 Thunderbolt "Warthog"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:37:05 GMT

LegoMasterLuke wrote:
Another problem with building the A-10 is the color. Lego doesn't make the
drab green pieces required for the typical A-10's camoflauge. (And if they do,
the pieces in the quantity needed would be hard to come by.)

They also come in light gray, dark gray, desert brown, black, and (I kid you
not) I've seen one painted *red*.  I'm guessing here, but they probably get
them out of the factory in some grayish color, then paint them later...

You know the USAF is going to replace the A-10 with the more versatile F-16
Fighting Falcon? They say the A-10 is too slow, and thus vulnerable to ground-
to-air fire. :(

Isn't this where the A-10 really shines?  I mean, they are designed to soak up
all kinds of SA fire, and their primary targets are all ground-based.  Plus,
the feature list for the A-10 reads like a mafia boss' limo:  3-inch thick
titanium/glass canopy, triply-redundant hydraulic and wire-driven actuators
(plus free-falling landing gear in the rare case where all that fails),
fire-resistant and -extinguishing fuel tanks, a doubly-redundant engine system
that works even after you throw concrete through its fan blades, and of course
lots and lots of depleted uranium ammo and a cannon big enough and accurate
enough to deliver it.  Their hang-time without refueling is incredible, and is
usually at low enough altitudes to make stealth characteristics practically
unnecessary.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but the Nighthogs returned
from their Desert Storm missions with something like, lesse, *zero* losses and
a nearly-perfect mission record.

OTOH, the Fighting Falcon is primarily an air-to-ait interceptor platform
which is capable of delivering bombs.

I'd be very surprised if the USAF retired the A-10 in favor of the F-16.

Cheers,
- jsproat

[f-ups to .debate]

Uh, two.  Including this one.