 General / 19777
Re: Harry Potter Lego Line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:33:23 GMT

I don't. Licensing is not what LEGO is about.

Well.  Licensing is not what Lego *was* about.

I think it's a good thing, though, mostly because Lego's recent self-designed
sets have... been somewhat lacking, in my mind.  The Star Wars sets (not just
the UCS, but the System ones as well) have been a cut above.

Don't knock it just because it's something new.  The individual bricks aren't
any less creative to play with because they came in a kit from a licensed
line.

I agree. Licensing is not inherently a bad thing. It could lead to a general
loss of creativity but the Star Wars line doesn't suffer from that at all. I
think what's important is that they choose licenses not for their popularity
but for their possibilities as sets. Harry Potter doesn't strike me as a
subject that can inspire great sets. But I'm sure that Lego will surprise me.
There has been rumor of Marvel superhero licenses, and while this is
intriguing, the real question is what would those licenses allow Lego to build
that we haven't seen before. As interesting as X-men minifigs would be, what
possibly could the sets comprise. So it is with Harry Potter. Are they going to
make just the Mugwort castle, or a really cool castle that happens to be called
Mugwort. It could go either way